On the Meaning of Life, By Hazrat Sultan BaHU

  • Sant Mat Mysticism
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2006

      On the Meaning of Life, By Hazrat Sultan BaHU

      I have, at last, grasped the beginning and the end:
      I have seen the whole spectacle of past, present
      and future pass before my eyes.
      Within my heart are fourteen realms:
      chambers of Light -- ablaze
      with the profusion of God's Radiance.
      Those who have not realized God will wander,
      homeless in this world, destitute in the next.
      But watch the lovers dance with ecstasy,
      as they merge into the oneness of God.

      The Lord is an ocean of oneness
      in which lovers swim as they please, free of care.
      In their own turn, they appear in the world
      to dive deep into that ocean, to gather pearls.
      Among the pearls is a gem --
      unique in value, unmatched in lustre --
      that shines like the moon.
      We are all in the employ of the Lord, O Bahu;
      let us pay homage to him through our prayers.

      Repeat the Name of God, O Bahu,
      and free yourself from the worries of life.

      Those who enshrine the Lord in their hearts,
      O Bahu, have both the worlds at their command.

      Lovers remain completely intoxicated
      in the ecstasy of their love for the Beloved.
      They offer their souls to the Beloved
      while still living and thus immortalize themselves
      in this life and the hereafter.

      -- Hazrat Sultan Bahu,
         "Sultan Bahu,"
         J.R. Puri and K.S. Khak,