Re: [MedicalBillers] List demographics ;)

  • shellykenner@msn.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 8, 2003
      Hi, I'm Shelly. I'm in Grand Junction, CO. I'm an admissions clerk at a
      local hospital. I'm learning about the billing with trial by fire. I
      learned in school but this is my first hands on job.

      Shelly

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 8, 2003
        Hi all, my name is Carolyn and I work in a Hospital in Central Illinois (no not all of Illinois is Chicago) doing billing mainly to IDPA, and have been doing it for 20+ years.  Things have really changed in that time, and now I am looking for a way to do billing from my home, but it doesn't look to promising.  I will probably be "in-house" till the day I die.

        Carolyn and the Basenji Gang
        Visit us at our website (in progress):
        http://www.karlynbasenjis.homestead.com/karlyn~ns4.html

        http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/karlynken/lst?.dir=/Trampus+X+Mindy+pups&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 9, 2003
          Hello Shelly,   Trial by fire.  <grin>  That is cute.  I hope that it not that bad. But I can remember long long aga!  Ahhh!    Yes......:)  trial by fire is a good work.   GRIN!!!

          Please keep us informed on how you are doing. Congratulations on your job!

          Jo An

            I am in Alabama. I have a background in bookkeeping and started here as a receptionist to decrease my stress! So naive! Got promoted to insurance and now I am the head of the department. I have only been doing this for 3 years now so this list is very helpful to me because I am still learning.I didn't go to coding school but am studying to take the CPC exam. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful and the good tips I have gotten here.

            Melissa
            Insurance Clerk
            HIPAA Compliance Officer
            Drs. Rubenstein & Duffy, Family Phys.
            rdinsure@...

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 9, 2003
              It's a good thing.  I'm loving it.  I work in the outpatient therapy department and may eventually move over to the actually admitting/business office.

              My big challenge so far has been learning how the military insurance works.

              Shelly

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 9, 2003
                It's nice to read about where everyone is from. I am a certified coder,
                currently undertaking the role as compliance and privacy officer here in
                Columbus, OH. I am employed by a 65-physician, mainly FPs and IMs in
                multiple locations in Central Ohio.

                Shelly; good luck with the military insurance. You will need it! :-)

                Kelli S. Merringer, CPC, CCS-P
                Network Integrity Coordinator
                Mount Carmel HealthProviders, Inc.
                (614)898-8916

                Hi, I'm Shelly. I'm in Grand Junction, CO. I'm an admissions clerk at a
                local hospital. I'm learning about the billing with trial by fire. I
                learned in school but this is my first hands on job.

                Shelly

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Carolyn Nagle
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 9, 2003
                  Shelly,
                  Do you do any Early Intervention billing for therapy?  That is the bane of my exestistance right now.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 9, 2003
                    No, luckily, not yet.  We have another girl in the office that does that.

                  • KASchebesta@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 9, 2003
                      Hi I'm Karen from Ocean County, NJ.
                      I am the office manager for an Orthotic and Prosthetic Practice since July.  Have been an office manager for years, but took a "hiatus" and went back to school for a year long medical billing and coding certificate through our local community college.  I am also a member of the AAPC.   Sat for my CPC exam in December and am officially a "CPC"!  (glad i passed, the test was grueling!)....

                      Basically, i'm learning something new every day!

                      Smiles.....
                      Karen in NJ
                    • Carolyn Nagle
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 9, 2003
                        Karen,
                        I worked in an Orthotic/ Prosthetic retail store for 20 years. Billing can become very "creative" with custom braces, but I enjoyed the challenge until the private owners decided to retire and sell to a large company.  After 20 years the new company went broke in a little over 2 years.  So I went to the hospital to work.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 9, 2003
                          Jo Ann,

                          I too am in Michigan, up near Flint. I've done billing for 6 years,
                          first year in physical therapy, the last 5 in chiropractic. I
                          consider myself an expert at chiro, but don't ask me anything else!!

                          I've owned my own billing service for a year and a half, with my main
                          client being the chiro I used to work in-office for. However, 4
                          months ago I signed another chiro and I have a third that I'm a
                          billing consultant for. I still hope to take over her work and if
                          that happens, God help me, I'll have to hire someone. But she just
                          asked me to do some initial recovery work, so I'm still hoping.....

                          For those that are still dreaming of their own company, feel free to
                          run questions by me. I'll share what I've learned and it can be a
                          reality. Set goals for 2003---make it happen. I dreamed/planned for
                          2 years before it became my reality. I worked on marketing, priced
                          what I needed, etc. I had the plan ready to roll out once I had the
                          nerve/money/whatever to actually do it.

                          Personally, I have 4 children, 8, 7, 5 and 18 months. My work-at-home
                          status was tied to the birth of my son. I told my boss I could work
                          at home or he could replace me and I'd train the replacement. I gave
                          him 8 months notice. He decided to keep me....smart man.

                          I have a wonderful husband, but he's very busy. Works full time, goes
                          to school full time and is in the Michigan Army National Guard. I
                          pray he's not deployed this year!! He however, wants to go. He was
                          in active army during the Persian Gulf War and he wishes he were there
                          now.

                          Becki Woodhams
                          Advanced Billing Solutions
                          Michigan
                        • David A
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 10, 2003

                            Howdy Fellow Billers,

                            I’m from San Antonio Texas, have been in the Medical billing industry since 1991. In 1995 I went Solo by opening a Billing service starting with the Imaging clinic I fired myself from and the radiologist. We now service 10 radiology/ imaging center in San Antonio, Austin, The Valley and Laredo with one in Cincinnati Ohio. But we also service an Internal Medicine Doctor, and Ophthalmologists. Prior specialties we have done work for include Chiro’s, Podiatry, Home Health and Pain Management. Seems like a lot but they are all small size providers averaging on the high end about 40 to 50 patients a week. We have expanded our services by offering financial services for medical AR accounts and also into representing a Medical Management Software systems.

                            David Alvarado

                            San Antonio TX

                            1st MedNET Group, Inc.

                            1-800-434-2023

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 10, 2003

                              Hi Jo Ann,

                              My name is Kristie, i live in Brooklyn,NY. Well i just recently graduated from a two-college where i studied the major of Medical Office Track which consisted of CPT, ICD-9, Medical Terminology, Medical Ethics, Medical Assistants, Insurances and the whole nine. I choose this major because I've always been fascinated with the medical field and i love working with computers. My problem is i really don't have experience as a medical biller and i really want to do this, but how do you get experience if no one wants to give you a chance. I'm very willing to learn whatever it takes to learn more about going into this field, and i would gladly accept any advice offered.

                              Thanks for any advice offered.

                              Kristie

                               Carolyn Nagle <karlyn@...> wrote:

[...]

                              Do you Yahoo!?

                            • bexx1232000 <billing@chscomputers.com>
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 10, 2003
                                Kristie,
                                The best way to get experience is to get a job in-office with someone
                                willing to train. You have the book-smarts, you just need practical
                                experience. I would think you have enough knowledge to get hired.
                                Then learn everything you can. If you're looking at opening a billing
                                service, you'll need it. I would think 1-2 years in-office should
                                prepare you.

                                Becki

                                --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, kristie dav <passion7277@y...>