Re: HIPAA Seminar

  • bexx1232000
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2002
      I too do out-sourced billing. You will need to sign a Business
      Associate contract with your providers, which is a required form under
      HIPAA anytime a physician is releasing PHI. Using an outsourced
      billing service is perfectly fine under HIPAA, a patient has agreed
      that a doctor can use PHI to obtain payment under his normal business
      practices, however that physician has opted to handle his insurance
      collections.

      An additional concern under HIPAA, however, is your physicians
      information being protected in YOUR office, especially if you work in
      someone's home, as I do. That information must be protected from
      everyone else in the home as well as from anyone visiting the home.

      Becki