Re: [MedicalBillers] HIPAA Seminar

  • D H
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2002
      Thanks Jo An

      Dee Ann
      --- reeki8@... wrote:
      > Hello Dee Ann!
      >
      > If I was you I would file a extension just to be on
      > the safe side and also
      > attend any seminar I could. I understand that
      > billing outside of the office
      > will be especially hard to do with the privacy
      > standards. I would be on the
      > safe side. I know I will be.
      >
      > Jo An

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • bexx1232000
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2002
        I too do out-sourced billing. You will need to sign a Business
        Associate contract with your providers, which is a required form under
        HIPAA anytime a physician is releasing PHI. Using an outsourced
        billing service is perfectly fine under HIPAA, a patient has agreed
        that a doctor can use PHI to obtain payment under his normal business
        practices, however that physician has opted to handle his insurance
        collections.

        An additional concern under HIPAA, however, is your physicians
        information being protected in YOUR office, especially if you work in
        someone's home, as I do. That information must be protected from
        everyone else in the home as well as from anyone visiting the home.

        Becki