HIPAA Seminar

  • blondeblues00
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2002
      I live in Houston and am wondering if any billers in Houston are
      going to the HIPAA Seminar. I have heard that the seminars are
      geared towards Physician offices. My billing company only has two
      people working it, out of our homes and we are already in HIPAA
      compliance. Do we need to attend the seminar or file an extention if
      we are unable to attend? What do we need to add to our contracts
      with Physicians now that HIPAA has taken in effect?

      Thanks,
      Dee Ann
    • reeki8@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2002
        Hello Dee Ann!

        If I was you I would file a extension just to be on the safe side and also attend any seminar I could.  I understand that billing outside of the office will be especially hard to do with the privacy standards.  I would be on the safe side.  I know I will be.

        Jo An
      • D H
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2002
          Thanks Jo An

          Dee Ann
          --- reeki8@... wrote:
          > Hello Dee Ann!
          >
          > If I was you I would file a extension just to be on
          > the safe side and also
          > attend any seminar I could. I understand that
          > billing outside of the office
          > will be especially hard to do with the privacy
          > standards. I would be on the
          > safe side. I know I will be.
          >
          > Jo An

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • bexx1232000
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2002
            I too do out-sourced billing. You will need to sign a Business
            Associate contract with your providers, which is a required form under
            HIPAA anytime a physician is releasing PHI. Using an outsourced
            billing service is perfectly fine under HIPAA, a patient has agreed
            that a doctor can use PHI to obtain payment under his normal business
            practices, however that physician has opted to handle his insurance
            collections.

            An additional concern under HIPAA, however, is your physicians
            information being protected in YOUR office, especially if you work in
            someone's home, as I do. That information must be protected from
            everyone else in the home as well as from anyone visiting the home.

            Becki