Insurance Refunds

  • bluewriter24
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25 8:58 AM

      I am new this year to medical billing. Some claims I filed with Aetna were duplicate filed by someone in their office for reasons unknown and they paid us for them anyway. I pointed this out to them and they said they will be requesting a refund as soon as they are finished investigating it. That was two months ago. Does anyone know if there is a time limit on how long I need to hold that money for them? Thanks.
    • Candice Aryitey
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25 9:15 AM
        I believe there is a 3 year look back period.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25 9:42 AM

          Wow! Thank you. That makes things more difficult than they need to be. But that's insurance.

          Another question-if a patient is choosing not to use their insurance either because they would rather cash pay or because you are out of network with their insurance and then you become in network with that insurance at a later date, are you required to file with their insurance after you become in network even if they don't want you to? This of course excludes Medicare and Medicaid, in which I know the answer would be yes. Thanks.