RE: [MedicalBillers] Re: Hardship for medicare patients

  • josette sylvan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2012
      personally, my mom has medicare, no 2nd she is responsible for the 20%, I switched her to an economical HMO. Biggest discount ever, lol

      commercial reimbursement is somethimes greater than medicare's and the patient out of pocket is less in terms of copay, coins etc. This benefits all involved.

      good luck with that

      josette

      To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: djgeisel@...
      Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:06:14 +0000
      Subject: [MedicalBillers] Re: Hardship for medicare patients

      You cannot give a hardship discount to a Medicare patient. It is seen as an inducement. A lure to get them to come in. Sorry but you have to charge them the co-ins and deductible amounts on covered services (CMT only). You do not have to charge them on any medicare non covered services by statute (therapy, exams or x-rays).
      Diana (also in chirorpactic)

      --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, christina <chrstna1519@...> wrote:

      > HELP!
      >
      > Does anymone know if there is a hardship policy for medicare. If so, where can I find it? Is there forms for the pt to fill out? I work for a chiropractors office and am wondering about this.
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
      > Christina

    • djgeisel
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9 2:51 PM
        Yes the hardship policy is that you cannot offer them any discounts as it is seen as a inducement to get them to come in. I also work for a chiro in Texas. Where do you work?
        Diana