needing advice

  • Annissa Bady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14 8:55 AM
      I am getting ready to purchase the book, "Uniform Billing : A Guide
      to Claims Processing"
      Christina D. Rizzo; Paperback

      I've read through Medical Billing The Bottom Line by Claudia A.
      Yalden twice now.

      I've also taken the medicare certification courses for Front Office
      Management, Medicare Fraud & Abuse, Medicare Secondary Payer,
      Medicare Home Health Benefit, and the HCFA 1500 course.

      I'm thinking about hiring the Professional's Choice Software company
      to secure doctors for me, but when I talked with the man he basically
      gave me the heebee geebees again.

      Is electronic billing really that difficult?

      Here's what I thought:

      ~I needed to be aware of codes and how they are used, but I don't
      need to be a certified coder to process electronic claims.

      ~To process an electronic claim you need all the patient registration
      information and insurance information. I submit it through my
      clearinghouse making sure all the information is correct. I do
      follow-up on rejected claims and correct claims that the
      clearinghouse indicates need correcting. The doctor receives the EOB
      along with payment. I prepare audit/aging reports and provide these
      to the doctor weekly or monthly.

      Isn't it that simple or am I mistaken. I just want to start off
      doing electronic billing and maintaining confidential patient
      records. The patient billing will come later I think.

      MY BIG QUESTION, I'M DOING LOTS OF READING AND AT-HOME PREPARATION.
      DO I REALLY NEED TO TAKE AND 8 MONTH PROGRAM TO JUST DO ELECTRONIC
      BILLING OR AM I PUTTING MYSELF IN JEOPARDY OF MESSING EVERYTHING UP
      IF I GO AHEAD AND GET A DOCTOR TO DO ELECTRONIC CLAIMS FOR?

      Sincerely,
      Annissa Bady