Re: Codes for a simple OV

  • djgeisel
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 29, 2012
      Maybe she just meant that if you provide other services not described in the 99213 for instance, that you bill those services in addition. Don't know what specialty you are dealing with but let's say in addition to the exam you do an x-ray, you would bill that in addition to the exam. Most people refer to this as an office visit code but the reality of it is that this is an examination code.
      Diana

      --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <dawng621@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I need some help on something that I am confused about. I was told by another biller that there are three CPT codes to bill for a simple OV. Can anyone confirm this and if so can you tell me what they are? For example she told me that if someone goes to the doctor for a simple cold and the doctor bills a 99213 that there is two other codes that should be billed along with the 99213, but I can't for the life of me figure out what other codes would go with it. Please help!
      >
      > Dawn

    • josette sylvan
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
        technically they are referred to as evaluation and management codes, all visits are referred to as such, the 99213 in question is referred as an office visit because these codes signify a service location defined as an office site, oppose to hospital, nursing home, etc.

        To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: djgeisel@...
        Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:26:29 +0000
        Subject: [MedicalBillers] Re: Codes for a simple OV

        Maybe she just meant that if you provide other services not described in the 99213 for instance, that you bill those services in addition. Don't know what specialty you are dealing with but let's say in addition to the exam you do an x-ray, you would bill that in addition to the exam. Most people refer to this as an office visit code but the reality of it is that this is an examination code.
        Diana

        --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <dawng621@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I need some help on something that I am confused about. I was told by another biller that there are three CPT codes to bill for a simple OV. Can anyone confirm this and if so can you tell me what they are? For example she told me that if someone goes to the doctor for a simple cold and the doctor bills a 99213 that there is two other codes that should be billed along with the 99213, but I can't for the life of me figure out what other codes would go with it. Please help!
        >
        > Dawn

      • djgeisel
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2012
          Yes, the more recent term is evaluation and managment but it incorporates examination of systems and decision making time and complexity etc.

          --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, josette sylvan <abcmdbiller123_55@...> wrote:

          > technically they are referred to as evaluation and management codes, all visits are referred to as such, the 99213 in question is referred as an office visit because these codes signify a service location defined as an office site, oppose to hospital, nursing home, etc.
          >

          > To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
          > From: djgeisel@...
          > Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:26:29 +0000
          > Subject: [MedicalBillers] Re: Codes for a simple OV
          >

          > Maybe she just meant that if you provide other services not described in the 99213 for instance, that you bill those services in addition. Don't know what specialty you are dealing with but let's say in addition to the exam you do an x-ray, you would bill that in addition to the exam. Most people refer to this as an office visit code but the reality of it is that this is an examination code.
          > Diana
          >
          > --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <dawng621@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I need some help on something that I am confused about. I was told by another biller that there are three CPT codes to bill for a simple OV. Can anyone confirm this and if so can you tell me what they are? For example she told me that if someone goes to the doctor for a simple cold and the doctor bills a 99213 that there is two other codes that should be billed along with the 99213, but I can't for the life of me figure out what other codes would go with it. Please help!
          > >
          > > Dawn

        • josette sylvan
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2012
            yeah all that is inclusive