Re: [MedicalBillers] Re: Codes for a simple OV

  • Dawn King
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2012
      HI Melinda,

      That is what I am thinking.  Thanks

      Dawn King

      ________________________________
      From: Melinda <melindadocsmith@...>
      To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:16 PM
      Subject: [MedicalBillers] Re: Codes for a simple OV

      Dawn,

      Not that I'm aware of. You would code exactly what is documented in the patient's chart. You cannot bill for services you didn't provide. You don't use any additional codes, unless you have just cause and it's charted.

      I'd go back to the biller and ask her to clarify.

      --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <dawng621@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I need some help on something that I am confused about. I was told by another biller that there are three CPT codes to bill for a simple OV. Can anyone confirm this and if so can you tell me what they are? For example she told me that if someone goes to the doctor for a simple cold and the doctor bills a 99213 that there is two other codes that should be billed along with the 99213, but I can't for the life of me figure out what other codes would go with it. Please help!
      >
      > Dawn

    • josette sylvan
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28, 2012
        ask the other biller for clarification on what is it that they are referring to.

        codes are not set up in any specific way of usage. We, meaning billers, get documentation from what the doctor documents in the patients chart at the time of service as melinda stated. As the biller you are either looking at the chart it self or looking at a cheat sheet, super bill, encounter form what ever you call it, and it is the doctor responsibility to check off what you are suppose to bill. We dont guess what to bill. Not procedures or diagnosis codes never, ever.

        Josette

        To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: dawng621@...
        Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:44:19 +0000
        Subject: [MedicalBillers] Codes for a simple OV

        Hi,

        I need some help on something that I am confused about. I was told by another biller that there are three CPT codes to bill for a simple OV. Can anyone confirm this and if so can you tell me what they are? For example she told me that if someone goes to the doctor for a simple cold and the doctor bills a 99213 that there is two other codes that should be billed along with the 99213, but I can't for the life of me figure out what other codes would go with it. Please help!

        Dawn

      • debbie brosnan
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28, 2012
          amen sister

          dont where orange for no one

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2012
            ooppsss  learn to spell.

            wear not where

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 29, 2012
              Maybe she just meant that if you provide other services not described in the 99213 for instance, that you bill those services in addition. Don't know what specialty you are dealing with but let's say in addition to the exam you do an x-ray, you would bill that in addition to the exam. Most people refer to this as an office visit code but the reality of it is that this is an examination code.
              Diana

              --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <dawng621@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I need some help on something that I am confused about. I was told by another biller that there are three CPT codes to bill for a simple OV. Can anyone confirm this and if so can you tell me what they are? For example she told me that if someone goes to the doctor for a simple cold and the doctor bills a 99213 that there is two other codes that should be billed along with the 99213, but I can't for the life of me figure out what other codes would go with it. Please help!
              >
              > Dawn

            • josette sylvan
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5 9:54 AM
                technically they are referred to as evaluation and management codes, all visits are referred to as such, the 99213 in question is referred as an office visit because these codes signify a service location defined as an office site, oppose to hospital, nursing home, etc.

                To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: djgeisel@...
                Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:26:29 +0000

                Maybe she just meant that if you provide other services not described in the 99213 for instance, that you bill those services in addition. Don't know what specialty you are dealing with but let's say in addition to the exam you do an x-ray, you would bill that in addition to the exam. Most people refer to this as an office visit code but the reality of it is that this is an examination code.
                Diana

                --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <dawng621@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I need some help on something that I am confused about. I was told by another biller that there are three CPT codes to bill for a simple OV. Can anyone confirm this and if so can you tell me what they are? For example she told me that if someone goes to the doctor for a simple cold and the doctor bills a 99213 that there is two other codes that should be billed along with the 99213, but I can't for the life of me figure out what other codes would go with it. Please help!
                >
                > Dawn

              • djgeisel
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 7 7:38 AM
                  Yes, the more recent term is evaluation and managment but it incorporates examination of systems and decision making time and complexity etc.

                  --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, josette sylvan <abcmdbiller123_55@...> wrote:

                  > technically they are referred to as evaluation and management codes, all visits are referred to as such, the 99213 in question is referred as an office visit because these codes signify a service location defined as an office site, oppose to hospital, nursing home, etc.
                  >

                  > To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: djgeisel@...
                  > Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:26:29 +0000
                  > Subject: [MedicalBillers] Re: Codes for a simple OV
                  >

                  > Maybe she just meant that if you provide other services not described in the 99213 for instance, that you bill those services in addition. Don't know what specialty you are dealing with but let's say in addition to the exam you do an x-ray, you would bill that in addition to the exam. Most people refer to this as an office visit code but the reality of it is that this is an examination code.
                  > Diana
                  >
                  > --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <dawng621@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I need some help on something that I am confused about. I was told by another biller that there are three CPT codes to bill for a simple OV. Can anyone confirm this and if so can you tell me what they are? For example she told me that if someone goes to the doctor for a simple cold and the doctor bills a 99213 that there is two other codes that should be billed along with the 99213, but I can't for the life of me figure out what other codes would go with it. Please help!
                  > >
                  > > Dawn

                • josette sylvan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 7 2:59 PM
                    yeah all that is inclusive