Re: [MedicalBillers] Family Practice anyone?

  • debbie brosnan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2011
      Have you looked at their case mix vs payor mix?  Unfortunately in the family
      practice area you are limited to the E/M's, so you may need to look at how many
      patients you see in a day and what the case mix is.  Then look at the year as a
      whole sinces its the end of the year now may be a great time.  Where are your
      top three to five patients insurances, is their fee schedules negiotable? If not
      then look at how you might be able to adjust how many patients you see in a day,
      week, month, quarter.  Can you limit those, do you have enough patients with
      negiotable contracts to move into more open slots.  Renegiotate your contracts.
      Nothing says you cant ask for a raise from an insurance company.  Do you
      homework first see if you can find out what the industry is paying.  The AMA
      gives some good bench mark material but it might be a little pricey for family
      practice.

      Unfortnately at the family practice level its going to be quantity vs quality.
      Next I would look at my top CPT codes, does the documentation support.  Is there
      a way to tweek the documentation to support a higher level.  Are you using an
      EMR system to set your levels?  If so look at the parameters.  Does the
      documentation really support a 99212 or 213, should it have really been a 214.
      If you are locked in and have already looked at all of these. Maybe putting a
      mid level in the office would help cash flow they can see the already
      established care plan patients.  Many insurances recognize a mid level provider.

      Your Internal medicine dr should have some procedures mixed into your E/M look
      at the same as above.

      Hope this helps
      Deb

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
        I'm Family Practice Christy. Shoot me any questions you might have and I'll try to help. I'm in Eastern Washington State.