Family Practice anyone?

  • Halbert
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2011
      I'm trying to connect with some experienced Family Practice/Internal Medicine practices. It seems like my Dr's are busting their butt but the bottom line never changes much. Any suggestions on raising the income that we might be overlooking would be great!

      Thanks
      Christy

    • debbie brosnan
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2011
        Have you looked at their case mix vs payor mix?  Unfortunately in the family
        practice area you are limited to the E/M's, so you may need to look at how many
        patients you see in a day and what the case mix is.  Then look at the year as a
        whole sinces its the end of the year now may be a great time.  Where are your
        top three to five patients insurances, is their fee schedules negiotable? If not
        then look at how you might be able to adjust how many patients you see in a day,
        week, month, quarter.  Can you limit those, do you have enough patients with
        negiotable contracts to move into more open slots.  Renegiotate your contracts.
        Nothing says you cant ask for a raise from an insurance company.  Do you
        homework first see if you can find out what the industry is paying.  The AMA
        gives some good bench mark material but it might be a little pricey for family
        practice.

        Unfortnately at the family practice level its going to be quantity vs quality.
        Next I would look at my top CPT codes, does the documentation support.  Is there
        a way to tweek the documentation to support a higher level.  Are you using an
        EMR system to set your levels?  If so look at the parameters.  Does the
        documentation really support a 99212 or 213, should it have really been a 214.
        If you are locked in and have already looked at all of these. Maybe putting a
        mid level in the office would help cash flow they can see the already
        established care plan patients.  Many insurances recognize a mid level provider.

        Your Internal medicine dr should have some procedures mixed into your E/M look
        at the same as above.

        Hope this helps
        Deb

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3 10:02 AM
          I'm Family Practice Christy. Shoot me any questions you might have and I'll try to help. I'm in Eastern Washington State.