Re: [MedicalBillers] cold calling

  • Ann Sutter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      Annissa,

      How do you access the Medicare site you mentioned?

      When you are doing cold calls, remember that the national average on the
      return of coupons is only 2-4%, so with 2 out of 50 you are right on the
      high end of things. When you call, it helps to say something like "I'm
      providing a service that I think you might be interested in. . . " Read
      some books on closing sales deals, like the Zig Zigler books. In
      advertising they say, "Sell the sizzle, not the steak." For your business,
      this means, listen to their needs and tell them how you can solve that
      problem for them, rather than just selling your business. Get an
      appointment, rather than selling it all over the phone. Say, "Im going to
      be in your neighborhood on Tues. and Fri. of next week and wondered if I
      could meet with you on either of those days?"

      Cold calling isn't so bad really. You just have to remember that this is a
      service that people need; some have solved this problem years before you
      called them; others are trying to find new solutions. Phone calls are much
      cheaper than mailings and you can get more info from phone calls. Keep 3x5
      cards or put info on your computer as to what they say, like do they have
      in-house staff for billing, is it a 1-person office, do they have time to
      follow up on claims that are paid wrong, etc.

      Hope this helps.

      Ann