Financial Hardship Question

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2011
      I have developed a policy for financial hardship, and know all the
      documentation that is needed to apply for it. (It's amazing what you can
      find on Google).

      However, what I really don't know is how do you actually calculate it;
      and also determine what percetage adjustment would you take? Is there a
      formula somewhere for this, does anyone have any good web sites? We're
      in WA State if that is helpful.

      I found a couple of things on Google as an example, but how do I know if
      it's correct for our region of the country/state?

      Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

      (see below for examples)

      Percent of State/Federal Poverty Level = Discount
      300% = 30%
      200% = 50%
      100% = 75%
      <100 = 100%

      http://www.cvilleheart.com/CVAOC_Patient_Financial_Responsibility_Policy\
      -Hardship_Application.pdf
      <http://www.cvilleheart.com/CVAOC_Patient_Financial_Responsibility_Polic\
      y-Hardship_Application.pdf>

      3/25/11 - Upon verification of a patient's financial hardship, the
      practice uses the below structure to determine the level of discount.

      When Family Income is: = Discount off Charges
      0.0 – 0.99 x poverty level 100%
      1.0 – 1.75 x poverty level 75%
      1.76 – 2.25 x poverty level 50%
      2.26 – 3.0 x poverty level 25%