RE: [MedicalBillers] Psychiatric billing question

  • josette thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2010
      "Not that I condone or believe there is a way to
      get around it, getting money without rendering services or anything like
      that, just agreeing with his thinking mode. "

      To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: linda@...
      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:25:10 -0500
      Subject: RE: [MedicalBillers] Psychiatric billing question

      Ah but she mentioned "NEW" patient's. GOING to be real tough to enforce
      collections from patient's who have not seen or signed the office financial
      policy.. :(

      Linda Walker
      Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
      http://www.billerswebsite.com
      A division of K&L Media, LLC
      Interact with us on Facebook
      Follow us on Twitter

      From: llellis1@...
      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 07:01:58 +0000

      The Dr. that I work for insists that there is a way to bill a new patient
      with insurance some type of no show fee. I have tried to explain to him that
      this constitutes insurance fraud as no services were rendered. He counters
      with "Well see if there is a way to charge the patient (who is not a patient
      yet) a deposit which we could apply to his first visit.

      I know that there is a code with MCR to bill when the patient is not present
      and family wishes to discuss something but this is an entirely different
      situation.

      Also when you have a potential new patient who is self pay, he wants us to
      ask for a deposit of 50% down prior to first visit with balance taken care
      of at time of service. I guess he figures even if they don't show for appt,
      he has still gotten some money out of the deal. Obviously I am new to this,
      but something doesn't seem right there.

      I have suggested double booking as a back up in case the new pt doesnt show.
      I do our confirmations the day before with reminders to bring all insurance
      cards if applicable and whatever their copay is. I verify all insurance info
      prior to the appt so that when patient arrives, they are simply checked in
      and wait to see Dr. Typically I will also ask them to come by office ahead
      of time to fill out patient information sheet which for us is quite
      extensive (30 pages) and bring a list of all medications or bring the
      bottles whichever is easier for them. We deal mainly with MCR/MCD and lots
      of commercial insurance companies.

      I have walked into a situation where it was totally disorganized and am
      trying to weed my way through the chaos that was created before I got there.
      My manager is the greatest at organizing but has no medical office
      experience. I started as front desk at a GP office and gradually moved to
      back office, but had limited experience billing until now.

      Anyway, thanks so much for any input and suggestions you guys might have. Am
      also looking for someone to give us some guidance on collection procedures
      as I know we have lots of revenue just sitting there. If any of you do that,
      please email me and let me know a good time to reach you.

      Thank you again for your patience with me.
      Linda E

      database 5661 (20101130) __________

      http://www.eset.com

      database 5661 (20101130) __________