Psychiatric billing question

  • alecsgirl22
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2010
      The Dr. that I work for insists that there is a way to bill a new patient with insurance some type of no show fee. I have tried to explain to him that this constitutes insurance fraud as no services were rendered. He counters with "Well see if there is a way to charge the patient (who is not a patient yet) a deposit which we could apply to his first visit.

      I know that there is a code with MCR to bill when the patient is not present and family wishes to discuss something but this is an entirely different situation.

      Also when you have a potential new patient who is self pay, he wants us to ask for a deposit of 50% down prior to first visit with balance taken care of at time of service. I guess he figures even if they don't show for appt, he has still gotten some money out of the deal. Obviously I am new to this, but something doesn't seem right there.

      I have suggested double booking as a back up in case the new pt doesnt show. I do our confirmations the day before with reminders to bring all insurance cards if applicable and whatever their copay is. I verify all insurance info prior to the appt so that when patient arrives, they are simply checked in and wait to see Dr. Typically I will also ask them to come by office ahead of time to fill out patient information sheet which for us is quite extensive (30 pages) and bring a list of all medications or bring the bottles whichever is easier for them. We deal mainly with MCR/MCD and lots of commercial insurance companies.

      I have walked into a situation where it was totally disorganized and am trying to weed my way through the chaos that was created before I got there. My manager is the greatest at organizing but has no medical office experience. I started as front desk at a GP office and gradually moved to back office, but had limited experience billing until now.

      Anyway, thanks so much for any input and suggestions you guys might have. Am also looking for someone to give us some guidance on collection procedures as I know we have lots of revenue just sitting there. If any of you do that, please email me and let me know a good time to reach you.

      Thank you again for your patience with me.
      Linda E
    • josette thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2010
        Isnt it ironic that you mention collections after the facts. At first reading your letter made me think the dr is greedy or something, but then as you mention "lots of revenue just sitting there" well that changes things.

        Not only due to appointment cancellations but unable to collect for services which were actually rendered but never reimbursed I would act and sound like the dr also. Trying to find a way to get his funds up front some way some how! makes sense to me now. Not that I condone or believe there is a way to get around it, getting money without rendering services or anything like that, just agreeing with his thinking mode.

        My only suggestion is to change the office policy regarding payments for services methods.

        Appointments can certainly have a less than 24hrs termination fee, because that could be a slot where a paying patient could have been scheduled.

        Overbooking can compensate for gaps in lost revenue, but think about the chaos when everybody does show up, would you be able to handle the load? Lol

        At time of visits, Copays should be collected its the law

        Collecting deductibles at the beginning of the year can be a little chaotic, if you dont bill fast enough, another dr sends his bill and the deductible now belongs to him, then you have to refund the money etc.

        Waiver to cover you for non covered medicare services

        Any denied, rejected, claims is patients responsibility, which now means collections

        First opportunity to collect is on patients next visit, when you call for next appointment confirmation mention balance due.
        Suggest payment plans for less fortunates of course.
        Take the biggest balances and go to your small claims court
        Retain a lawyer to send out letters with intentions of taking them to court they usually pay by then.

        Good luck to you linda E

        To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2010
          Ah but she mentioned "NEW" patient's. GOING to be real tough to enforce
          collections from patient's who have not seen or signed the office financial
          policy.. :(

          Linda Walker
          Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
          http://www.billerswebsite.com
          A division of K&L Media, LLC
          Interact with us on Facebook
          Follow us on Twitter

[...]