question about our fees

  • chiroblr
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010
      hi all, I have been billing chiropractic for 20 years. My rate has always been 8% for a mm office and 10% for a pip office. I am thinking of raising my mm office rate to 9%. everything is going up but the rate the insurance companies are paying. $32.79 - copay for an adjustment for blue is not feeding the bulldog anymore. $37.00 - copay from tufts i'm losing money on people with $30 copays.

      what is everyone else doing?

      these copays going higher and higher are killing me. I have Blue patients with $50.00 copays what does that leave me?

      maryann burke

      www.chiroblr.com
    • Linda Walker
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010
        This is one of reasons I did away with percentage based billing a few years
        ago. I love the flat monthly rate because I get paid for all my work and
        it's formulated to cover all my expenses per client. I use the sliding scale
        to accommodate practices that are growing. Works great because like I said,
        I get paid for all my time/work.

        Linda Walker

        Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
        <http://www.billerswebsite.com> http://www.billerswebsite.com
        A division of <http://www.klmediallc.com/> K&L Media, LLC
        Interact with us on
        <http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PMRNC-One-Stop-Networking-Resources-for-Me
        dical-Billers/75437322918> Facebook
        Follow us on
        <http://twitter.com/pmrncC:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Linda%20Walker/My%20D
        ocuments/ACT> Twitter

        hi all, I have been billing chiropractic for 20 years. My rate has always
        been 8% for a mm office and 10% for a pip office. I am thinking of raising
        my mm office rate to 9%. everything is going up but the rate the insurance
        companies are paying. $32.79 - copay for an adjustment for blue is not
        feeding the bulldog anymore. $37.00 - copay from tufts i'm losing money on
        people with $30 copays.

        what is everyone else doing?

        these copays going higher and higher are killing me. I have Blue patients
        with $50.00 copays what does that leave me?

        maryann burke

        www.chiroblr.com

        database 5511 (20101007) __________

        http://www.eset.com

      • Maryann Burke
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010
          I know we talked about your rate before and for some reason I just couldn't get my head around it.  It made since but I couldn't figure out "what to charge".  maybe you can share your rates again

          maryann

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010
            It’s based on my hourly rate and estimated time per client. For example if my hourly rate is $25 p/hour and I estimate a client to take about 30 hours per month (you can estimate by week and then monthly avg) that’s $750 then I add expenses PER client such as phone/fax, clearinghouse, postage, etc. Then I add the sliding fee, to accommodate new patients, for example I might charge an extra $25 for every 10 new patients.

            I know this method is not the greatest for someone starting out, it’s more for those of us who have experience because we can set the hourly rate to what we are worth. A new person starting out might only be able to do $10-$15 per hour or even less if they are brand new (no experience) and this would undercut a new business/startup.

            Even though I am in NY where doctors cannot enter into % based contracts (fee-splitting) I’ve been doing it this way since I was in PA, and it’s just MUCH better financially for me. I know many thinks they can’t sell that model because doctors like to be told “You don’t’ get paid till they get paid” and I’ve simply not run into that. I really do think with the times and economy physicians expect to pay someone what they are worth for all their time. Plus it cuts down on all the nit picking about whether or not to charge for copay’s, payments by patients.. etc. It’s straight forward and I get paid for all my time and work. Another advantage is that you don’t have to pull numbers out of the sky.. My rate will stay the same no matter what SPECIALTY it is because again, I’m getting paid for my time/work. They still save a lot of money in outsourcing as well so you don’t lose that marketing advantage either.

            <http://www.facebook.com/# <http://www.facebook.com/> !/pages/PMRNC-One-Stop-Networking-Resources-for-Me
[...]

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5512 (20101007) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • Maryann Burke
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010
              ok, this time i think i understand it :)  I'm going to get a little book and diary the time spent on each client for a month to get a hold of this.  I think I like this idea.

              maryann

                Interact with us on <http://www.facebook.com/# <http://www.facebook.com/> !/pages/PMRNC-One-Stop-Networking-Resources-for-Medical-Billers/75437322918> Facebook

                <http://www.facebook.com/# <http://www.facebook.com/> <http://www.facebook.com/> !/pages/PMRNC-One-Stop-Networking-Resources-for-Me