USDL & Consults

  • Corri
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2010
      Hi Everyone,
      Does anyone know if US Department of Labor is no longer accepting consult codes? I know medicare isn't, but does that apply to USDL as well? I know they are both federal so it make sense but they've been accepting all this time and now I've had two denied saying "procedure code not in effect for date of service." Anyone else having this same problem?

      Corri
    • Candice Aryitey
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 2010
        Corri,

        I ran into the same problem. Official release from the DOL says:

        Consultation Codes

        The US Department of Labor Office of Workers Compensation Program (OWCP) will
        adhere to the recent decision by Center of Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) that was
        announced in MLN Matters, #MM6740. Effective March 1, 2010 OWCP will no longer
        accept the use of the AMA/ CPT Consultation codes ranges 99241-99245 and
        99251-99255 for outpatient and office settings. Any line items submitted with
        date of service on or after March 1, 2010 will be denied and return stating
        "The requested procedure is not a covered service". For additional information
        please refer to CMS MLN Matters Number: MM6740 located at:
        http://www.cms.gov/MLNMattersArticles/downloads/MM6740.pdf

        Hope that helps,

        Candice

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30, 2010