Mom vs Dad Billing and Divorce

  • Corri
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2010
      How does your office deal with bills for divorced or separated parents when it's for their child? If you bill the mom and she calls and says to bill dad, then he calls and says to bill her... it seems like I am getting stuck in the middle of their feud. This is becoming more and more common and I am not sure what to do. Are their rules or laws? I know each divorce is different but I don't think that I should be the one to sort out their marital issues when I am just trying to get a bill paid for my doctor. What do you do? Thoughts or ideas?

      Thanks :)
      Corri
    • muhl4groups@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2010
        Who signed the forms as guarantor? That is who is legally responsible and it is up to them to get paid from the other parent

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2010
          What do you do if Dad brings the kid in, signs the forms but lists Mom as the
          responsible party? Because dad signed is he responsible?

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2010
            Where the signature is written it should say I agree at be responsible, etc and then u have what u need as proof of him being responsible a lot of times they list as the guarantor whoever has the insurance

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2010
              On your patient information sheets there should be something for this on who
              is financially responsible. If not, then whomever brought the child to the
              doctors would have completed the form.

              Linda Walker

              Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
              <http://www.billerswebsite.com> http://www.billerswebsite.com
              A division of <http://www.klmediallc.com/> K&L Media, LLC
              Interact with us on
              <http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PMRNC-One-Stop-Networking-Resources-for-Me
              dical-Billers/75437322918> Facebook
              Follow us on
              <http://twitter.com/pmrncC:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Linda%20Walker/My%20D
              ocuments/ACT> Twitter

              How does your office deal with bills for divorced or separated parents when
              it's for their child? If you bill the mom and she calls and says to bill
              dad, then he calls and says to bill her... it seems like I am getting stuck
              in the middle of their feud. This is becoming more and more common and I am
              not sure what to do. Are their rules or laws? I know each divorce is
              different but I don't think that I should be the one to sort out their
              marital issues when I am just trying to get a bill paid for my doctor. What
              do you do? Thoughts or ideas?

              Thanks :)
              Corri

              database 5348 (20100806) __________

              http://www.eset.com

            • Linda Walker

[...]

                __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5348 (20100806) __________

                http://www.eset.com

              • josette thomas
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 9, 2010
                  1st question, does both parents have insurance? general rule for two parents is who's birthday is 1st
                  2nd question, recently divorced? the parent with custody may have responsibility by court order

                  I am not being funny but.......... send them both a bill! LOL Never play the middle man, cause they will play you.

                  To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
                  From: virtuous_gracious@...
                  Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:26:53 +0000

                  How does your office deal with bills for divorced or separated parents when it's for their child? If you bill the mom and she calls and says to bill dad, then he calls and says to bill her... it seems like I am getting stuck in the middle of their feud. This is becoming more and more common and I am not sure what to do. Are their rules or laws? I know each divorce is different but I don't think that I should be the one to sort out their marital issues when I am just trying to get a bill paid for my doctor. What do you do? Thoughts or ideas?

                  Thanks :)
                  Corri

                • Rosemarie
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
                    Birthday Rule: Used to determine primary and secondary coverage for children when two parents have insurance coverage. The word 'birthday' refers only to the month and day in a calendar year, not the year in which the person was born.
                    If the parents are not separated or divorced, the insurance of the parent whose birthday occurs first in a calendar year is considered the primary insurance while the other parent's benefits are considered the secondary coverage.
                    If the parents have the same birthday, the insurance plan that has covered the parent for the longest time is considered the primary insurance.
                    In situations where the parents are separated or divorced and there is more than one insurance plan covering the child, the benefits are determined in the following order. **
                    The insurance plan of the parent with legal custody of the child.
                    The plan of the spouse of the parent with legal custody of the child.
                    Last is the plan of the parent who does not have legal custody of the child.

                    ** There can be some discrepancy, depending on a court decree, if there are no specific terms on a court decree (stating only that the parents share joint custody). The benefit determination is the same as if the parents are not separated or divorced.
                    http://www.yourmedicalbiller.com/glossary_of_medical_billing_terms.html
                  • hunayda
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 30, 2011

                      Good morning everyone,

                      Do you have an idea about pay rate for billers. Is it just by hour or plus percentage? and how much the percentage, or if it is annual salary. I work for a docter fo 2 years and I would like to know how much should I ask for a raise.

                      Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011

                          Does anyone  have an idea about pay rate for billers? Is it just by hours or plus percentage? and how much the percentage,  if it is annual salary. I work for a docter fo 2 years and I would like to know how much should I ask for a raise.

                          Thanks.

                        • Jana
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                            If you are a certified coder..$25.00 hr plus...If not $22.00-$25.00...Is what I have been told.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                              It really depends on where u live, your qualifications and your experience