Patient Charts

  • Margo Tockerman
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 23, 2009
      I have a client who needs some help organizing patient charts. I cant find
      a template online. Can someone share how the charts are put together in
      your office? I appreciate it.

      Margo Tockerman

      (p) (404) 270-9635

      (f) (678) 298-6214

      <http://www.apsbilling.net> www.apsbilling.net

    • djgeisel
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 24, 2009
        Patient name and number are entered on the tab. (a different color tab for event types like work comp case, auto accident, health insurance, cash patient with no insurance etc.) punch holes on the right top of the folder and put a large clip there for all intake patient history forms, hipaa forms and clinical information/reports (which are all punched for holes too and filed under the clip. Anything else goes in the pocket on the left side of the folder. The folders are filed alphabetically. We only have one doc so no other distinctions are needed in our office. Diana

        --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Margo Tockerman" <margo@...> wrote:

        > I have a client who needs some help organizing patient charts. I cant find
        > a template online. Can someone share how the charts are put together in
        > your office? I appreciate it.
        >

        > Margo Tockerman
        >
        > (p) (404) 270-9635
        >
        > (f) (678) 298-6214
        >
        > <http://www.apsbilling.net> www.apsbilling.net

      • Linda Walker
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 24, 2009
          I always liked to file with two files per patient.. one for billing and the
          other for medical records. This was helpful if an audit were to ever come
          up.

          Even being fully electronic (paperless) this still works good for me.

          Linda Walker

          Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
          <http://www.billerswebsite.com> http://www.billerswebsite.com
          A division of K&L Media, LLC
          <http://www.klmediallc.com> http://www.klmediallc.com

          Website Design & Management for the Medical Services Industry

          <mailto:MedicalBillers%40yahoogroups.com> , "Margo Tockerman" <margo@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a client who needs some help organizing patient charts. I cant find
          > a template online. Can someone share how the charts are put together in
          > your office? I appreciate it.
          >

          > Margo Tockerman
          >
          > (p) (404) 270-9635
          >
          > (f) (678) 298-6214
          >
          > <http://www.apsbilling.net> www.apsbilling.net

          database 3957 (20090324) __________

          http://www.eset.com

        • Josie Mapp
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 24, 2009
            On the contrary, Linda, I prefer to have only one record for the patient not
            only for the space occupied in the office, but for the careless staff that
            might be hired in the future so they don't misplace anything. When it comes
            to preparing for an audit, you can match every visit with the progress notes
            in one folder.

            I studied Medical Records Technology which is now called Health Information
            Technology and I never heard of having 2 charts or 2 folders for 1 patient.

            I would use the following tabs: Demographics (including insurance info.),
            Progress Notes, Labs, Referrals, Reports & Miscellaneous. The medicine
            sheet, you would put it in the left side of the folder for quick reference.
            Remember to write in red or buy labels for the allergies.

            On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Linda Walker <linda@...>wrote:

            > I always liked to file with two files per patient.. one for billing and
            > the
            > other for medical records. This was helpful if an audit were to ever come
            > up.
            >
            > Even being fully electronic (paperless) this still works good for me.
            >
            > Linda Walker
            >
            > Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
            > <http://www.billerswebsite.com> http://www.billerswebsite.com
            > A division of K&L Media, LLC
            > <http://www.klmediallc.com> http://www.klmediallc.com
            >
            > Website Design & Management for the Medical Services Industry

            Josie Mapp
            JG Professional Services, Inc.
            Credentialing, Collections & Medical Billing Services
            Cell: 917-892-7201
            Fax: 646-403-3699

            THIS EMAIL AND ANY FILES TRANSMITTED WITH IT ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND ARE
            INTENDED SOLELY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHOM THEY ARE
            ADDRESSED. This document may contain information covered under the Privacy
            Act, 5 USC 552(a), and/or the Health Insurance Portability and
            Accountability Act (PL 104-191) and its various implementing regulations and
            must be protected in accordance with those provisions.

            If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
            delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
            received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
            printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

            If you have received this email in error, please return immediately to the
            sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your
            cooperation.

          • Linda Walker
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24, 2009
              It's just a preference, I didn't say anyone had to do it, someone asked how
              everyone does it and I gave my feedback is all. The reasoning behind the two
              files for audits is so that information NOT privy or admissible in an audit
              does not get compromised "legally". It's not a "rule", just my preference
              and all the offices I setup that's how I do it, it just gives the staff an
              extra safeguard against compromising certain records. With the system I put
              in place you can still match everything up nicely.

              database 3958 (20090324) __________

              http://www.eset.com

            • thebilloff@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2009
                I worked at two offices where they had the two chart system just like Linda
                uses. One for Medical and One for Financial. It really is a preference
                and not a legal requirement. I don't usually see the two chart system in
                larger offices just because of the volumn.

                Jackie R. Zube, CMRS
                The Billing Office, Inc.

                <_http://www.billerswhttp://www_ (http://www.billerswebsite.com/) >
                <_http://www.klmedialhttp:/_ (http://www.klmediallc.com/) >

                From: _MedicalBillers@MedicalBilleMed_

                On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Linda Walker <_linda@billerswebsitlinda_
                (mailto:linda@...)
                <mailto:linda%mailto:linda%<WBmail> >wrote:

                > I always liked to file with two files per patient.. one for billing and
                > the
                > other for medical records. This was helpful if an audit were to ever come
                > up.
                >
                > Even being fully electronic (paperless) this still works good for me.
                >
                > Linda Walker
                >
                > Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
                > <_http://www.billerswhttp://www_ (http://www.billerswebsite.com/) >
                _http://www.billerswhttp://www_ (http://www.billerswebsite.com/)
                > A division of K&L Media, LLC
                > <_http://www.klmedialhttp:/_ (http://www.klmediallc.com/) >
                _http://www.klmedialhttp:/_ (http://www.klmediallc.com/)

                > Website Design & Management for the Medical Services Industry
                >
                > From: _MedicalBillers@MedicalBilleMed_
                (mailto:MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com)
                <mailto:MedicalBillmailto:MedicalBimailt>
                <MedicalBillers%MedicalBillersMed>[mailto:
                > _MedicalBillers@MedicalBilleMed_ (mailto:MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com)
                <mailto:MedicalBillmailto:MedicalBimailt>
                <MedicalBillers%MedicalBillersMed>
                > Subject: [MedicalBillers] Re: Patient Charts
                >
                > Patient name and number are entered on the tab. (a different color tab for
                > event types like work comp case, auto accident, health insurance, cash
                > patient with no insurance etc.) punch holes on the right top of the folder
                > and put a large clip there for all intake patient history forms, hipaa
                > forms
                > and clinical information/ and clinical information/<WBR>reports (which are
                al
                > filed under the clip. Anything else goes in the pocket on the left side of
                > the folder. The folders are filed alphabetically. We only have one doc so
                > no
                > other distinctions are needed in our office. Diana
                >
                > --- In _MedicalBillers@MedicalBilleMed_
                (mailto:MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com)
                <mailto:MedicalBillmailto:MedicalBimailt>
                <MedicalBillers%MedicalBillersMed>

                <mailto:MedicalBillmailto:MedicalBimailt<MedicalBilMedicalBil<WBR>lMedicalB>

                > , "Margo Tockerman" <margo@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I have a client who needs some help organizing patient charts. I cant
                > find
                > > a template online. Can someone share how the charts are put together in
                > > your office? I appreciate it.
                > >

                > > Margo Tockerman
                > >
                > > (p) (404) 270-9635
                > >
                > > (f) (678) 298-6214
                > >
                > > <_http://www.apsbillihttp:/_ (http://www.apsbilling.net/) >
                www.apsbilling.

                signature
                > database 3957 (20090324) __________

                > _http://www.eset.htt_ (http://www.eset.com/)

                Josie Mapp
                JG Professional Services, Inc.
                Credentialing, Collections & Medical Billing Services
                Cell: 917-892-7201
                Fax: 646-403-3699

                THIS EMAIL AND ANY FILES TRANSMITTED WITH IT ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND ARE
                INTENDED SOLELY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHOM THEY ARE
                ADDRESSED. This document may contain information covered under the Privacy
                Act, 5 USC 552(a), and/or the Health Insurance Portability and
                Accountability Act (PL 104-191) and its various implementing regulations and
                must be protected in accordance with those provisions.

                If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
                delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
                received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
                printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

                If you have received this email in error, please return immediately to the
                sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your
                cooperation.

                database 3958 (20090324) __________

                _http://www.eset.htt_ (http://www.eset.com/)

                **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

              • Weis, LuAnn
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 25, 2009
                  HIM usually is not involved with finances; that is why you may not have
                  heard of 2 pt charts.

                  When I was consulting I too advised having a medical chart and a
                  financial chart. I have set this up for many practices that had
                  transitioned into electronic records. The EOBs, financial reports were
                  all in a different folder. I like to keep finances separate from
                  medical.

                  LuAnn Weis, MPA,CPC, CPC-H
                  Compliance Specialist
                  Hackensack University Medical Center
                  201-996-5032 fax# 201-996-2574

                  From: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
> [...]

                  INTENDED SOLELY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHOM THEY ARE
                  ADDRESSED. This document may contain information covered under the
                  Privacy
                  Act, 5 USC 552(a), and/or the Health Insurance Portability and
                  Accountability Act (PL 104-191) and its various implementing regulations
                  and
                  must be protected in accordance with those provisions.

                  If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
                  delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
                  received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
                  forwarding,
                  printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

                  If you have received this email in error, please return immediately to
                  the
                  sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your

                  *** HUMC's Proactive Security and Virus Scanner has scanned this email
                  for
                  malicious content and it is safe to use***