Glad to know it's just not the office I work for where things are crazy....

  • Carol Roush
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
      That's a comfort...well, in a odd way I guess. I mean, at least I know other offices are going through the same wacky drama. I absolutely detest BlueShield. I cringe when a client has told me that their new insurance is BlueShield. I really want to ask the client, "Really? Are you sure?!?!?" I look at the card and a sick feeling comes over me. Then I call on the benefits and my heart just sinks for the adult or child that really needs the speech therapy. All stupid BlueShield has given them is 12 visits...for one year?!?!? Aggghhh!! The medical biller does check the codes and the codes on the speech therapy reports given to her by the therapists.

      My Director has Office Policies that are 5 pages long. No joke and it's all due to the craziness of people not showing up for appointments and insurance stuff. After the first former client went to yelp complaining about us because their insurance denied them, we now have a diagnosis code explanation document for clients or parents of clients to sign. I get nasty comments given to me about the office policies and how long they are. My Director felt that it had to be stated and signed. I just make jokes now back to the nasty comments like...."After I give you a copy, please take it home and there will be a test next time". Hehehe :) Or I say...."Well, you know there are always those few bad apples that make it tough for everyone else".

      On our office website, we even tell people to call their benefits and even outline what they should ask! I tell them on the phone when i do the intake call. I tell them that we only check eligibility and if their insurance is active. I know that clients or parents of clients don't check their insurance due to the invoices they are receiving from my office now. They freak out when they see the big amount. I usually have to ask, "Um, do you have a deductible that you forgot about that renews at the beginning of each year"? Then they say...Ohhhhhhh. That's when I redirect them to their insurance customer service #800 on the back of their card.

      What I think is crazy is that the Director of the speech clinic doesn't make client or parents of clients pay each time at their appt. I pay each time when I go to my doctor and that's how I was trained in Medical Receptionist classes. Private pay people have to pay each time but the insurance clients don't have to, if they don't want.

      Sorry for ranting again. Thanks for reading and I feel a bit better that I'm not the only one dealing with wacky people!

      Thanks so much,

      Carol :)
    • Lin
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
        << On our office website, we even tell people to call their benefits and
        even outline what they should ask! I tell them on the phone when i do the
        intake call. I tell them that we only check eligibility and if their
        insurance is active. I know that clients or parents of clients don't check
        their insurance due to the invoices they are receiving from my office now.
        They freak out when they see the big amount. I usually have to ask, "Um, do
        you have a deductible that you forgot about that renews at the beginning of
        each year"? Then they say...Ohhhhhhh. That's when I redirect them to their
        insurance customer service #800 on the back of their card.>>

        It would seem to me there is a better way, but It requires consistency in
        your office and a clear financial policy as well as hardship policy for
        those in need of hardship discounts.

        If you are checking eligibility ..why don't you just go the one extra step
        of getting benefits, putting it on the form and then the patient can have a
        copy? This way there are no surprises if you have to collect from the
        patient at the time of services. There shouldn't be surprise statements no
        matter if the patient knows or doesn't about the coverage, if the carrier
        tells you they don't cover something inform the patient before they come in
        and tell them it's needed in full at the time of service, show them or tell
        them who you spoke with at the office and they can take it up with them
        either before they go in or after, either way you get paid and there are no
        more headaches. Yes you will have the ones that forget their checkbooks or
        don't want to pay, but that is where the front office staff has to explain
        and show the financial policy and make NO exceptions aside from your
        documented hardship policy.

        As for BCBS, they were my second FAVORITE payor aside from Medicare. Their
        insurance cards are so simple you can't go wrong. If you don't get the card
        it can be a real hassle but the alpha pre-fixes make knowing where claims go
        so much easier and their automated benefits and eligibility system is really
        good. They even have a fax back where you can get the benefits faxed to the
        office, but I'm sure that depends on what state BCBS you are calling. I've
        done NY, NJ, CT, PA, RI, and Texas. I did mental health and pediatric and
        one chiro (that cured me from ever doing chiro billing ever again!). LOL

        Another thing you might want to consider if you have an office website is
        putting the various insurance company's name and general benefit info up
        there for the speech therapy and referring the patient to that link or even
        printing it out and giving it to them. Again, though the biggest thing your
        office can do is to collect these out-of-pocket or non covered amounts AT
        the time of service and staying consistent with it (no exceptions but that
        of financial and proven hardship).

        Linda Walker

        Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
        <http://www.billerswebsite.com> http://www.billerswebsite.com
        A division of K&L Media, LLC
        <http://www.klmediallc.com> http://www.klmediallc.com

        Website Design & Management for the Medical Services Industry

        database 3853 (20090214) __________

        http://www.eset.com

      • ecbonine@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
          I am the office manager and i will tell you that yes it is tough all
          over. However as the office manager there is only so much I will take
          as a person. People have to understand that they have personal
          responsibility. We do our best to hand hold and minimize issues, but
          we bill insurances as a COURTESY. If they don't pay then you do. If
          you don't then after 6 months you are in collections. It is really
          that simple. I am tired of people thinking that we are a free clinic.
          So there is my soap box!
          Erin

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
            Hello,

            Thank you for the suggestions.

            > It would seem to me there is a better way, but It requires
            > consistency in your office and a clear financial policy as well as
            > hardship policy for those in need of hardship discounts.

            I make it clear about the financial policy to potential clients. We even have our fee schedule and billing process in a pamphlet form out in our waiting room and it's also presented at the time before the first appointment. My Director is the one that manages her office. I have to abide and be consistent in following her policies with clients. She doesn't offer discounts.

            If you are checking eligibility ..why don't you just go the one extra step
            > of getting benefits, putting it on the form and then the
            > patient can have a copy? This way there are no surprises if you have to
            > collect from the patient at the time of services. There shouldn't be
            > surprise statements no matter if the patient knows or doesn't about the
            > coverage, if the carrier tells you they don't cover something inform the patient before they come in and tell them it's needed in full at the time of service, show them or tell them who you spoke with at the office and they can take it up with them either before they go in or after, either way you get paid and there are no more headaches. Yes you will have the ones that forget their checkbooks or don't want to pay, but that is where the front office staff has to explain and show the financial policy and make NO exceptions aside from your documented hardship policy.

            BlueCross is my favorite so far to deal with. I call for benefits in CA. I do call for all the benefits but I do not let the client know that I know everything. The Director of the Speech Clinic has trained me and advise me this way. She doesn't want clients saying that I told them that they are covered and be blamed when the insurance denies. I even call medical management or pre auth departments and ask them if the cover the cpt codes 92506 & 92507. I also ask customer service reps what is covered and not covered and they will tell me unless i know the diagnosis, they cannot help me. There is no way I would know that before the client is seen for the eval. I do let the potential client know that they are active and current and I do let them know if there is a deductible or co-pay that has to be met at time of services by cash or check. If I start out any of my sentences with...."Your insurance told me this" - I get yelled at by the Director.
            We are on a hold right now accepting new BlueShield clients because of the drama we have to deal with BlueShield. We only take 5 at a time unless an active client has changed to BlueShield while they are still coming for services.

            Another thing you might want to consider if you have an office website is
            > putting the various insurance company's name and general benefit info up
            > there for the speech therapy and referring the patient to that link or even printing it out and giving it to them.

            When I do the intake calls for new clients, I direct new clients to our website and where to go to get the questions for when they call their insurance. I encourage new clients as much as I can to call their insurance to find out their speech therapy benefits. I would say less than half of people know their insurance benefits. Being the Receptionist is not easy and when I accepted this job, I didn't know I'd be running the front office. The Director didn't tell me that. So, I'm learning as I go.

            Carol
          • Lin
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 15, 2009
              I think your director is not doing a good job in training you. Her logic
              that she doesn't want the patient to "blame you" is admirable however NOT
              productive. On a good pre-screening form you will have everything you need
              pertaining to the conversation with the carrier right there for the patient
              to see along with WHO you spoke with. NOW if your director is insisting
              this is the way it's handled PERIOD then she and the front end person have
              to get together and decide on a consistent method for getting the patient to
              pay right then and there..no surprises.

              If however she wants the practice to run smooth and collect as much as
              possible from the carriers from the get go, she needs to re-vamp the way she
              is teaching the staff.

              Another thing.. calling the carriers with CPT codes is not a good practice.
              A BETTER way to do this is to get the fax number and/or department where
              "PRE-Determination of Benefits " are sent to and fax a Pre-Determination
              over to them. The carrier then has to put in writing the pre-det. To do a
              pre-determination you work up a standard form with the CPT code and your fee
              for each CPT code. The carrier will NOT tell you what of your fee they will
              cover, they will however tell you that YES your fee is within U&C or that
              your fee is $XX above their U&C. This is for NON par plans. For Par plans
              you will need to look at the carriers fee-schedule. Pre-determination or
              Pre-d's are a wonderful tool that many offices do not take advantage of
              thereby resulting in surprised patient's when they get their statements.

              Your director cannot have her cake and eat it too. If she doesn't want you
              to get the benefits than every patient that comes through the door should
              pay up front and there should be no statements necessary thereby no one is
              upset and you don't get yelled at. Of course that's in a perfect world to
              which we don't live in.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 16, 2009
                I'm thinking it's time to come up with a generalized letter for
                BlueShield. I'd look at your top employer groups with that plan and
                then come up with a generalized letter listing what is covered, how
                many visits, & what is non-covered.

                Make the patient sign at the beginning of their treatments, and prior
                to treatment. I don't give patients a copy of their ABNs, at the
                time of service; because they toss it, leave it on the waiting room
                couch, etc. Keep a copy of your document in the paper chart, or EMR,
                for backup and possibly with your charges. Include it with the
                statement you send them.

                It might be time to start having someone verify benefits, in advance,
                if you're having this much trouble and since the OM doesn't want to
                collect at the time of service. Then you can find out if patient has
                met their deductible and can collect at the time of service.

                Also, you might want to send them the patient registration info. in
                the mail and ask them to copy their cards and send them back to you,
                prior to the appt...maybe include an envelope...ease of sending
                back.

                Just a few thoughts.

                --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, Carol Roush <carol.roush@...>
                wrote:

                > That's a comfort...well, in a odd way I guess. I mean, at least I
                know other offices are going through the same wacky drama. I
                absolutely detest BlueShield. I cringe when a client has told me
                that their new insurance is BlueShield. I really want to ask the
                client, "Really? Are you sure?!?!?" I look at the card and a sick
                feeling comes over me. Then I call on the benefits and my heart just
                sinks for the adult or child that really needs the speech therapy.
                All stupid BlueShield has given them is 12 visits...for one
                year?!?!? Aggghhh!! The medical biller does check the codes and
                the codes on the speech therapy reports given to her by the
                therapists.

                > My Director has Office Policies that are 5 pages long. No joke and
                it's all due to the craziness of people not showing up for
                appointments and insurance stuff. After the first former client went
                to yelp complaining about us because their insurance denied them, we
                now have a diagnosis code explanation document for clients or parents
                of clients to sign. I get nasty comments given to me about the
                office policies and how long they are. My Director felt that it had
                to be stated and signed. I just make jokes now back to the nasty
                comments like...."After I give you a copy, please take it home and
                there will be a test next time". Hehehe :) Or I say...."Well, you
                know there are always those few bad apples that make it tough for
                everyone else".

                > On our office website, we even tell people to call their benefits
                and even outline what they should ask! I tell them on the phone when
                i do the intake call. I tell them that we only check eligibility and
                if their insurance is active. I know that clients or parents of
                clients don't check their insurance due to the invoices they are
                receiving from my office now. They freak out when they see the big
                amount. I usually have to ask, "Um, do you have a deductible that
                you forgot about that renews at the beginning of each year"? Then
                they say...Ohhhhhhh. That's when I redirect them to their insurance
                customer service #800 on the back of their card.

                > What I think is crazy is that the Director of the speech clinic
                doesn't make client or parents of clients pay each time at their
                appt. I pay each time when I go to my doctor and that's how I was
                trained in Medical Receptionist classes. Private pay people have to
                pay each time but the insurance clients don't have to, if they don't
                want.

                > Sorry for ranting again. Thanks for reading and I feel a bit
                better that I'm not the only one dealing with wacky people!

                > Thanks so much,
                >
                > Carol :)

              • jaimejo2005
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
                  :-) No, you are not crazy... I won't even GO into where I used to work!

                  Currently, I work with many single office mental health professionals.
                  Most of us came from a non-profit agency (literally!) where we learned
                  what NOT to do.

                  So far, we have put into practice something that WORKS for us and has
                  cut down our A/R significantly and reduced patient surprises
                  dramatically. Being in Mental Health, you find many surprises in who
                  actually handles the MH claims (not usually the medical insurance), if
                  that provider is in network or not, authorizations that are required,
                  EAP sessions and the lovely HSA/FSA/HRA accts.

                  We created a form called "Regarding Your Insurance Benefits", that is
                  a patient friendly version of the form that I use to call and check
                  insurance benefits. This gives the patient step-by step instructions
                  on how to check their insurance (getting the information that I need
                  to bill any claims), get authorizations and educate themselves on
                  their policy. Every insurance company holds the patient responsible
                  for understanding their policy- this gives them the PERFECT
                  opportunity to do just that. All of my providers are single offices,
                  do not have any staff but me (I work out of my home office) to call on
                  insurance and bill patients, so if the provider has to make phones
                  calls to check insurance, it's on patient time. If the patient has not
                  called and checked their insurance according to our form, then they
                  are charged the contracted rate for their insurance company, since we
                  can't verify deductible, auth required, etc.

                  When I get the patient intake at the end of the week, I double check
                  or verify that their benefits are what they claim (you should see the
                  people that don't believe that they have a deductible!) and then bill.
                  If the patient has done their job, things work out fine.

                  If they haven't and insurance does pay, the patient will get a refund,
                  or we will carry the balance forward. This way WE get paid, whether or
                  not the patient does their part. (Sometimes, the patient is the ONLY
                  one who can arrange the authorization and if they don't- we get
                  denied.) If they didn't get an auth, and I can't get one for them,
                  insurance won't pay, deems it patient responsibility anyhow, but this
                  way, we are paid and ethically, too.

                  There are a FEW plans out there that "demand" that you cannot charge
                  the patient at the time of service, and we've been cheated on every
                  one of them ... :(

                  Typically, these forms are available on the provider's website, or the
                  provider emails the patient an intake packet to be completed prior to
                  their first appt and brought along to the first appt.

                  It DOES take training the provider... :D That is the hard part. I
                  would think getting paid, rather than "donating" your services is a
                  good motivation, but sometimes, they miss that part...

                  Hope that helps,

                  Jaime
                  AZ

                  --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lin" <italiandoll1967@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  website is
                  > putting the various insurance company's name and general benefit info up
                  > there for the speech therapy and referring the patient to that link
                  or even
                  > printing it out and giving it to them. Again, though the biggest
                  thing your
                  > office can do is to collect these out-of-pocket or non covered
                  amounts AT
                  > the time of service and staying consistent with it (no exceptions
                  but that
                  > of financial and proven hardship).
                  >

                  > Linda Walker
                  >
                  > Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
                  > <http://www.billerswebsite.com> http://www.billerswebsite.com
                  > A division of K&L Media, LLC
                  > <http://www.klmediallc.com> http://www.klmediallc.com
                  >
                  > Website Design & Management for the Medical Services Industry

                • kishore kumar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 18, 2009
                    Hi All,

                    Could any help me out to find out the rejection code description for "A7|96" from Medicaid-NY?

                    Thanks,
                    KK

                  • Lin

                      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3864 (20090218) __________