Expert / teacher question

  • djgeisel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
      I have a difference of opinion with another coder and would like your
      expert opinion if you are a teacher of billing and coding. When
      billing CMT and manual therapies, one must show proof that the areas
      being manipulated (98941)are diferent than the area the manual therapy
      is being used on (97140-59) In this case scenario a CMT 98941 is a 3-4
      area manipulation. If the diagnosis has 4 areas and the report says 3
      areas were manipulated and the fourth spinal dx area is the one manual
      therapies is used on, will this kind of dx coding be sufficient? Or
      since the CMT is by definition 3-4 areas already does the manual
      therpy have to done to a fifth DX area?
      Diana
    • Karen Vulgamore
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
        Hi, i'm not a teacher or expert, but from experience i know what has worked for me. Each state has their own rules, so you'll have to check that out. I bill adjustments and therapy on the same day with -59 and -51, bc/bs is the only one that occasionally denies and i have to resubmit.  A dr can adjust the patient and still have other modalities done, remember adjustment is spinal, the therapies could be to relax the muslces surrounding that area or could be to strengthen those muslcles.
        Hope that helps you.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
          Exactly Karen!!! We also use the same modifier and hardly get denials.

          " My Presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee Rest " - Exodus 33:14
          Contact Details:
          Joktan R Edison
          Cell: 1 (201) 310 6491
          efax:1-509-695-9578
          www.edisonandleesolutions.com

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
            You're welcome- sorry to the other person in the half of that discussion!

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
              Thank you for your kind reply's. However it did not help because my
              question was not about denials. I am not getting any denials nor is
              the other person. But when the insurance carrier walks into the
              office and wants to see our documentation, the question is will they
              want a refund because it was not technically done right. That's why
              I asked for an expert answer. I too know what to do to get paid but
              the day is comming that this is not all we will need to know. Again
              thanks anyway. Still looking for that expert to resond though.
              Diana
              --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, Karen Vulgamore
              <healthygrl2008@...> wrote:

              > You're welcome- sorry to the other person in the half of that
              discussion!

              > ________________________________

            • Karen Vulgamore
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
                When you get that answer please share- I'd love to know if I need more info than I have now.
                I got my info from the Chiro Code Book 2008. I assume that that would be enough to show them why and where I made the choices from.

                ________________________________
                <healthygrl2008@ ...> wrote:

                > You're welcome- sorry to the other person in the half of that
                discussion!

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Lin
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
                  If you are worried about an audit or you think something isn't right, it's a
                  good idea to hire a consultant/CPC coder to do a chart and coding audit,
                  this way you have backup documentation of the results.

                  Linda Walker

                  Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
                  <http://www.billerswebsite.com> http://www.billerswebsite.com
                  A division of K&L Media, LLC
                  <http://www.klmediallc.com> http://www.klmediallc.com

                  Website Design & Management for the Medical Services Industry

                  Thank you for your kind reply's. However it did not help because my
                  question was not about denials. I am not getting any denials nor is
                  the other person. But when the insurance carrier walks into the
                  office and wants to see our documentation, the question is will they
                  want a refund because it was not technically done right. That's why
                  I asked for an expert answer. I too know what to do to get paid but
                  the day is comming that this is not all we will need to know. Again
                  thanks anyway. Still looking for that expert to resond though.
                  Diana
                  --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:MedicalBillers%40yahoogroups.com> , Karen Vulgamore
                  <healthygrl2008@...> wrote:

                  > You're welcome- sorry to the other person in the half of that
                  discussion!

                  > ________________________________

                  database 3801 (20090126) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                • djgeisel
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
                    Yes I will share if I get the answer. It's more about documentation
                    and providing proof by that documentation of what is being done.
                    Where these two codes are concerned a delineation must be present
                    regarding what areas have had what done. Chiro is being targeted
                    this year and many doc's are being required to pay back carriers for
                    services which are not being either coded, or documented
                    apprpriately. Today it is more about not having to pay the carrier
                    back because we understand and have acceptable documentation.
                    <healthygrl2008@...> wrote:

                    > When you get that answer please share- I'd love to know if I need
                    more info than I have now.
                    > I got my info from the Chiro Code Book 2008. I assume that that
                    would be enough to show them why and where I made the choices from.

                  • djgeisel
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
                      I am not worried about an audit. I just want to be sure we are doing
                      this right. I guess no one knows for sure then? Oh well thanks
                      anyway.
                      Diana
                      --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lin" <italiandoll1967@...>