New Medicare contractor for Jurisdiction 2 - Noridian Out - NHIC In!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2008
      National Heritage Insurance Corporation In, Noridian Out as Medicare
      Contractor
      This is information I recently received and it was published by the
      WSMA. I have not found anything on Noridian or Medicare's web site yet.

      National Heritage Insurance Corporation (NHIC) has been awarded the
      contract for the combined administration of Medicare Part A and Part B
      fee-for-service claims for Jurisdiction 2, a geographic area comprised
      by the States of Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington, CMS has
      announced. NHIC is expected to assume full responsibility for the
      contract by December 31, 2008. Noridian has had the contract since 1997.

      http://www.medicarenhic.com/ <http://www.medicarenhic.com/>

      The Medicare Modernization Act (MMA) of 2003 included a provision which
      requires that by 2011 CMS must replace all current Medicare Part A
      fiscal intermediaries and Part B carriers processing fee-for-service
      claims with Part A/Part B Medicare Administrative Contractors (A/B
      MACs), which will process almost all provider and supplier
      fee-for-service claims for a given Jurisdiction.

      CMS will go through this contracting drill no less frequently than once
      every five years. The contract is a cost-plus-award-fee contract. NHIC
      is expected to immediately begin implementation activities and is to
      assume full responsibility for the work by the end of December 2008.

      The WSMA is very sensitive to the potential loss of both access to and
      responsiveness by the new contractor and we'll press CMS and NHIC to
      maintain the same level of responsiveness achieved through Noridian.

      WSMA also encourages you to share your comments/experiences as these
      events unfold. The WSMA will continue to work with the CMS Region 10
      office, as well as with Noridian and NHIC as this transition process
      moves forward. We will also be posting background information and
      periodic updates on the WSMA's Practice Resource Center
      <http://www.wsma.org/> .