Re: intro/getting started

  • Robert & Kellie Varner
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 1998
      >From: Reeki8@...
      >
      >In a message dated 11/15/98, 2:35:35 AM, MedicalBillers@onelist.com writes:

      >What State are you from? Are you in a Urban or Rural area? It has been
      my
      >experience that Doctors do no....want there billing out of the office. It
      can
      >be done...but it is hard.

      I live in So. California, in a rural area of the Inland Empire. I am not far
      from major cities.

      <I would like
      >to know what type of money you think that billers make

      I just have a rough idea, from some of the books I have read, in the
      neighborhood of $60k/yr.

      >A word of warning...be very careful of the programs for billers...some sell
      >you a OK! software package,......give you a list of Drs in your area... a
      >marketing letter and then you are on your own.

      Thanks for the words of warning. At a Jr. College in our area, they offer
      classes in Medical Billing. The classes are every Sat. for a month and at
      the end they set you up and you are put on a list of billers in your area.
      They introduce some of the billing software and offer them at a discount.
      From what Anne wrote below, there seems to be some definate variations!

      <Robert... I went to college for 2 years...taking some basic courses..and
      <I told medical terminology, medical transcription--2 semesters,and 4
      other medical courses..including billing courses. Also 2 semesters of
      <accounting. I wouldnt go thru the classes in the ads in the paper.. I
      called them.. They really get you. IF you do decide to go that
      <way..just becareful and ask many questions before signing up :))

      My goal is to be able to work a few days a week at my current job (to keep
      the medical benefits) and the rest of the time billing from home, hopefully
      increasing our income.

      I currently make $42K/yr as a meatcutter, no overtime or premium pay, this
      is just straight 40hr/wk. I could make more but want to spend the time with
      my family. I guess my question is.....does Medical Billing pay well enough
      to even consider it?

      Thanks,
      Robert
    • Reeki8@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 1998
        In a message dated 11/18/98, 2:17:14 AM, MedicalBillers@onelist.com writes:
        << guess my question is.....does Medical Billing pay well enough
        to even consider it?>>
        Hello Robert,

        I have asked our list members to help us out here. To give you a idea of
        just what the pay scale is out there...and hopefully we can get some home
        based billers to input. On this side I do know...like I said..most of our
        Drs would rather deal with males. Instant credibility.! Da dah! So you
        do have a edge. I do not remember if I asked you what State you are in?

        There are so many questions I would like to ask you. Most important are
        you on ICQ? If you are not let me know...I will send a invitation this will
        allow us to talk realtime.

        Until!

        Off to the Billing Shack!

        Jo An
      • Robert & Kellie Varner
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 1998
          >From: Reeki8@...
          I do not remember if I asked you what State you are in?

          I live in California

          >>There are so many questions I would like to ask you. Most important
          are
          >you on ICQ

          yes.....#1454238

          Robert