Re: I also forgot to ask...

  • bexx1232000
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2007
      Carol,
      Where do you live? Try a chiropractic office or dental office for
      an externship, they are smaller and independently owned.
      Podiatrists, dermatologists too. Your family practice doctors are
      typically hospital employed and quite frequently, billing isn't done
      in-house. Try nursing homes too. I work in chiro and have taken
      several externs and would be willing to do so again. I guess it
      helps that I'm also a billing/coding teacher and therefore willing
      to mentor someone.

      Other opportunities could also be insurance companies, health
      departments, etc. Depends on what you see yourself doing. Sure,
      clearinghouses are a possibility, however they are not local, you
      usually send your claims to a clearinghouse halfway across the
      country.

      Becki

      --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "carol.roush"
      <carol.roush@...> wrote:

      > What are other jobs that medical billers can do besides "medical
      biller". I learned about
      > clearing houses in class yesterday. My instructor said that is
      another route we can take as
      > medical billers is to work for a clearing house. Just learning
      about them...I'm not sure if that
      > is the path I should take.
      >
      > Thanks Again,
      >
      > Carol

    • carol.roush
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2007
        Becki,

        I live in San Jose, CA. A dental office actually did say that she would love to offer me an
        externship but she is in a dental office. So I figured, I guess I'm not suppose to learn that
        kind of billing or I must not fit in with dental. I thanked her and said she was very
        professional.

        I was going to take a Medical Administrative part-time job with a Chiropractor (in hopes
        she had a biller I could learn from eventually). Come to find out, the chiropractor
        outsourced her medical billing. Bummer. She said she was really impressed with my
        resume and training. I just would have never learned billing on the job because she didn't
        have a biller.

        I sure wish I could find someone to mentor me and take me on as an extern but it's sure
        been a struggle. I'll keep trying (even though I'm getting tired of the rejection).

        Thanks,

        Carol

        --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "bexx1232000" <billing@...> wrote:

        > Carol,
        > Where do you live? Try a chiropractic office or dental office for
        > an externship, they are smaller and independently owned.
        > Podiatrists, dermatologists too. Your family practice doctors are
        > typically hospital employed and quite frequently, billing isn't done
        > in-house. Try nursing homes too. I work in chiro and have taken
        > several externs and would be willing to do so again. I guess it
        > helps that I'm also a billing/coding teacher and therefore willing
        > to mentor someone.
        >
        > Other opportunities could also be insurance companies, health
        > departments, etc. Depends on what you see yourself doing. Sure,
        > clearinghouses are a possibility, however they are not local, you
        > usually send your claims to a clearinghouse halfway across the
        > country.
        >
        > Becki
        >

        > --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "carol.roush"
        > <carol.roush@> wrote:
        > >
        > > What are other jobs that medical billers can do besides "medical
        > biller". I learned about
        > > clearing houses in class yesterday. My instructor said that is
        > another route we can take as
        > > medical billers is to work for a clearing house. Just learning
        > about them...I'm not sure if that
        > > is the path I should take.
        > >
        > > Thanks Again,
        > >
        > > Carol

      • Marni Richards
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2007
          Carol,

          I am in Santa Rosa, CA. There is an employement agency here called Medical Professional Staffing that specializes in job placement in the medical industry. Perhaps you should see if they have a branch on your side of the bay... :)

          Marni L. Richards
          Business Office Supervisor
          Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital
          Petaluma Valley Hospital
          707-525-5314
          Email: marni.richards@...

          >>> "carol.roush" <carol.roush@...> 10/12/07 4:17 PM >>>
          Becki,

          I live in San Jose, CA. A dental office actually did say that she would love to offer me an
          externship but she is in a dental office. So I figured, I guess I'm not suppose to learn that
          kind of billing or I must not fit in with dental. I thanked her and said she was very
          professional.

          I was going to take a Medical Administrative part-time job with a Chiropractor (in hopes
          she had a biller I could learn from eventually). Come to find out, the chiropractor
          outsourced her medical billing. Bummer. She said she was really impressed with my
          resume and training. I just would have never learned billing on the job because she didn't
          have a biller.

          I sure wish I could find someone to mentor me and take me on as an extern but it's sure
          been a struggle. I'll keep trying (even though I'm getting tired of the rejection).

          Thanks,

          Carol

          --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "bexx1232000" <billing@...> wrote:

          > Carol,
          > Where do you live? Try a chiropractic office or dental office for
          > an externship, they are smaller and independently owned.
          > Podiatrists, dermatologists too. Your family practice doctors are
          > typically hospital employed and quite frequently, billing isn't done
          > in-house. Try nursing homes too. I work in chiro and have taken
          > several externs and would be willing to do so again. I guess it
          > helps that I'm also a billing/coding teacher and therefore willing
          > to mentor someone.
          >
          > Other opportunities could also be insurance companies, health
          > departments, etc. Depends on what you see yourself doing. Sure,
          > clearinghouses are a possibility, however they are not local, you
          > usually send your claims to a clearinghouse halfway across the
          > country.
          >
          > Becki
          >

          > --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "carol.roush"
          > <carol.roush@> wrote:
          > >
          > > What are other jobs that medical billers can do besides "medical
          > biller". I learned about
          > > clearing houses in class yesterday. My instructor said that is
          > another route we can take as
          > > medical billers is to work for a clearing house. Just learning
          > about them...I'm not sure if that
          > > is the path I should take.
          > >
          > > Thanks Again,
          > >
          > > Carol

          Notice from St.Joseph Health System:
          Please note that the information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.