Help with ICD9 Code

  • Tanya Peck
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
      I haven't had a problem finding a code in YEARS, but I find myself
      scratching my head this AM and wondering if anyone has any
      ideas/insights or answers for me!

      DX: Decreased Pedal Pulses (Patient had a B/L LE US)

      What's the ICD9 code for this?? I just can't seem to find it.

      Thanks all!

      Tanya
    • B Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
        Was that the final reading on the U/S report, or just the indication for ordering the study ? Assuming that "Decreased Pedel Pulses" is all the info you have on the patient, I would suggest

        785.9 Other symptoms involving the cardiovascular system

        which includes weak pulse in the description.

        Tanya Peck <tanya@...> wrote:
        I haven't had a problem finding a code in YEARS, but I find myself
        scratching my head this AM and wondering if anyone has any
        ideas/insights or answers for me!

        DX: Decreased Pedal Pulses (Patient had a B/L LE US)

        What's the ICD9 code for this?? I just can't seem to find it.

        Thanks all!

        Tanya

        Barbara Burgess, RN, CPC, ACS-EM
        University of South Alabama
        Department of Compliance and Reimbursement

      • Tanya Peck
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
          Thanks for your suggestion Barbara. I'm also considering 459.89
          (Other Specified Circulatory System Disorders).

          Would be very interested to hear from other billers, or a consensus
          on which of the two codes found so far would be best.

          The diagnosis was the reason for the test, not the result.

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
            If I take my coder hat off and put my nursing hat on , I would still go with the 785.9 since "decreased pulse" would be a symptom or a sign, not an actual disorder in and of itself.

            Barbara