Medicare Take Back

  • Sunne
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      Good morning,

      We submitted an inpatient psych claim to Medicare. When the claim was processed, there was no payment, but a debit of over $7000.00. When I questioned it, I was told it was a Medicare take back. I have tried to find information on take backs, but I have been unsuccessful. Can anyone point me in the direction of documentation on these type payments?

      I appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks.

    • Zia Clarkson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        At the end of the Medicare EOB that has the 'take back' .. there is a list of long numbers with the amounts that were taken back, with a total dollar amount. That's the dollar amount that is short from your check. The long numbers are called FCN numbers and if you call your local carrier, and give them your provider ID and that long number, they can tell you who the patient was and what date of service they over paid you on that is prompting them to take money back. You can then adjust your records/accounts accordingly.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
          Thanks for the response, Zia. I believe you are speaking of an offset. This was not an offset. It was processed in excess of the charges billed. I was told by the central billing office that it involved LTR days and that the claim shouldn't have been billed because it did not benefit the patient (who had high coins) or the facility.

          Zia Clarkson <zia_rali@...> wrote:
[...]

          Live well, love much, laugh often...