More questions please!

  • Shalu Zuger
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2007
      Thank you for your answers to my previous questions.

      I've got some more now:

      Scenario: If you are doing full practice management where you are charging percentages of what the dr collects and a flat rate for paper billing and are handling his billing, check posting and claim follow-up.

      1) In situations of full practice management, is it typically the responsibility of the MB to do insurance verification for new patients as part of their services or is that something that is usually handled by the office staff? If the MB does it, do they usually charge extra for it?

      2) In situations of full practice management, does the MB usually charge the dr a flat rate per patient bill (if no ins cov or to collect co-pays), an aggregated flat rate based on the patient balance you're trying to collect, a percentage of the patient bill or is this a service an MB might have included in their full practice management?

      I have been reading a book on how to start your own medical billing business and they don't seem to address the above questions. Also, do you know websites where I can get statistics on the MB industry that I can use in my business plan?

      Thanks for your help!

      Shalu

    • mrspfcsmith
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2007
        Hi Shalu:

        my clients. What I did was offer different levels of service I
        could provide with different percentages. So for billing only, I
        charged 6%, for billing + verification 8%. Verifying can be time
        consuming; but if you utilize Availity, Zirmed, or the carrier's
        websites, it only takes about 45 seconds per patient. I find it to
        be an enticing offer to clients as most of the time, in office staff
        does not have the time (or the knowledge) to verify benefits.

        Good luck!

        V. Smith

        --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, Shalu Zuger <adraa333@...>
        wrote:

        > Thank you for your answers to my previous questions.
        >
        > I've got some more now:
        >
        > Scenario: If you are doing full practice management where you
        are charging percentages of what the dr collects and a flat rate for
        paper billing and are handling his billing, check posting and claim
        follow-up.

        > 1) In situations of full practice management, is it typically
        the responsibility of the MB to do insurance verification for new
        patients as part of their services or is that something that is
        usually handled by the office staff? If the MB does it, do they
        usually charge extra for it?

        > 2) In situations of full practice management, does the MB
        usually charge the dr a flat rate per patient bill (if no ins cov or
        to collect co-pays), an aggregated flat rate based on the patient
        balance you're trying to collect, a percentage of the patient bill
        or is this a service an MB might have included in their full
        practice management?

        > I have been reading a book on how to start your own medical
        billing business and they don't seem to address the above
        questions. Also, do you know websites where I can get statistics on
        the MB industry that I can use in my business plan?

        > Thanks for your help!
        >
        > Shalu

      • Mark Wootton
        Message 3 of 3 , May 19, 2007
          Hey there We own a Medical Billing Buisness we do Billing for 13 Physicians,2 Surgeons, 2 Hospitalists, and 1 Chiropractor. The way our contracts are written we charge a flat percentage fee on what the monthly reeimbursement to the Practice is. We do not nickel and dime anyone. The Front desk does all the demographics input and insurance verification. UNLESS they choose to use our software in the fullest. Everyone is on our software so see Real Time Accounts etc. But the system will go through Emdeon and check the patients elligability and stamp the account for the front desk. We do not handle any of that. But be it Private Pay, Insurance Claim, and or MVA's or W/C's we still only charge a percentage. Most can go electronically. Of course you do have to file a few to papaer and secondary claims are all paper unless Medicare Medigaped. We do not charge extra for that. Hope this helps in the way ours is structured to give you some insight.

          Mark