New to this group - a few questions...

  • carol
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2007
      Hello,

      I'm currently studying to train to become a medical insurance biller. Eventually, I would like
      to become a Certified Coding Associate.

      Would you say that the medical billing profession is highly stressful? I was just curious. I
      understand that every job has a certain level of stress. I was just curious if it was extremely
      stressful. Also, is it best to have your own business, work for a doctor or a hospital?

      Thank you for any information.

      Carol
    • djgeisel
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2007
        I can only speak from my experience. I have worked as a biller/office
        manager for over 20 years and it has it's stress but mainly from
        insurance carriers who constantly try to get out of paying and the
        resulting appeals ect. I worked for a short time for myself and the
        down side was having a collecting issue with those I was trying to
        serve. Some of the doctors were dishonest and tried to withhold/hide
        payment made to them so as to not pay me my fee (which was a % of
        collected money) I hated the collection process and so I gave it up.
        Best of luck. I am sure there are up sides to it! Diana
        --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "carol" <carollroush@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm currently studying to train to become a medical insurance
        biller. Eventually, I would like
        > to become a Certified Coding Associate.
        >
        > Would you say that the medical billing profession is highly
        stressful? I was just curious. I
        > understand that every job has a certain level of stress. I was just
        curious if it was extremely
        > stressful. Also, is it best to have your own business, work for a
        doctor or a hospital?

        > Thank you for any information.
        >
        > Carol

      • Zia Clarkson
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2007
          run now while you can !! :)

          I was just kidding.

          This business is like laundry : there is always a mess to clean up, which makes you in demand and your skill marketable. Those messes can be challenging and there are almost always solutions. The game of billing : gathering data, transmitting data, accumulating checks and collecting on the outstanding receivables is fun to play and when the checks come in, even if they aren't put in your personal bank account, there is still a good personally rewarding feeling. Your mind will feel challenged and yet you will always be able to have the law and the tools you learn to make the laws work to your advantage by your side.

          Perhaps the greatest regret of this career, in my opinion, is that the vast majority of medical providers do not value us enough and it seems that the economy has not made room for valuable investment in our expertise. As a result, our people tend to be undervalued and underpaid. I hope that this changes in the future .

          zia

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2007
            Hi Carol!

            I've been a medical biller for 18 years and I love it (for the most
            part). I wouldn't say that being a medical biller is highly
            stressful, but then it depends on what other job duties you are doing
            in addition to it. If all you are doing is medical billing, then it
            would probably be a breeze.

            Me, I'm the insurance biller for a small family practice office.
            There are only 4 staff total (nurse, reception, doctor, me). I am
            also reception when she is sick or on vacation. I also handle all
            the referrals, collections, A/R, billing, & payment posting.
            Sometimes I am also the "office manager" when needed. I am the
            contact person, for the practice managment software and the EHR (EMR)
            medical records software. I deal with all the updates and issues.
            And, sometimes in a rare occasion, I am the "computer guru".

            So, now if I ask that same question, I'm going to say "yes"; simply
            because I have so much more to do than medical billing, but my title
            is Insurance Biller.

            I was the primary insurance biller, for a local hospital, for 8 years
            and it was great. I learned a lot there. However, hospital billing
            is so very different than medical office billing, as I'm sure it is
            for an ASC or Hospice. However, I was reponsible for sending out
            approx. 1,000 claims per day. I handled the all the electronic
            billing and issues and submitted Medicaid secondary claims directly
            to the State. I was in a position where there wasn't room to grow,
            so when the opportunity opened up for me to work with a medical
            software company I took it. I was with them for 4 years and the
            company went bankrupt, so I was looking for a new job.

            I work for a family doctor now (my first medical office experience)
            and it's wonderful. I lucked into my dream job. I work with nice
            people and it's very personable and it's nice to get to know the
            patients one-on-one. I was never able to really do that in a
            hospital setting and I really enjoy that part. It's very satisfying
            when a patient gives you a hug, or sends you flowers for helping
            them, or for straightening out their messed up insurance. I take
            pride in that and love helping people.

            I don't know that I'd ever have my own business because it's so
            complicated out there now with HIPAA, etc. and I've seen so many
            issues with doctors having problems, with outside billing companies,
            etc. I know there's probably some good experiences too, but if I was
            doctor, I'd want to control my billing and keep it in-house.

            I also worked for a billing service too and know first hand the
            nightmares of cleaning up "old A/R" off legacy systems. I also dealt
            with providers jumping billing agencies every 6 mos. because they
            weren't seeing the kind of income turnaround in the short time they
            were expecting to see it in. I think physicians need to give billing
            agencies at least 1 year, before deciding if they aren't working
            out. It creates such a nightmare for the next person having to clean
            it up.

            All in all, I love being an insurance biller. I kind of got away
            from it for a little while and missed it. That's when I decided I
            really wanted to do it again and became certified. I don't know that
            I'd ever go back to the hospital again, after experiencing a small
            office, but who knows, maybe if the job was right.

            I highly recommend becoming a certified biller, if you can. I can
            direct you to a great site for that if you want it. You can email me
            directly and I'll give you their web site.

            Good luck in your endeavors.

            wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm currently studying to train to become a medical insurance
            biller. Eventually, I would like
            > to become a Certified Coding Associate.
            >
            > Would you say that the medical billing profession is highly
            stressful? I was just curious. I
            > understand that every job has a certain level of stress. I was
            just curious if it was extremely
            > stressful. Also, is it best to have your own business, work for a
            doctor or a hospital?

            > Thank you for any information.
            >
            > Carol

          • Sunne
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 28, 2007
              Melinda,

              I would also be interested in the website you mentioned. Thanks.

              wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I'm currently studying to train to become a medical insurance
              biller. Eventually, I would like
              > to become a Certified Coding Associate.
              >
              > Would you say that the medical billing profession is highly
              stressful? I was just curious. I
              > understand that every job has a certain level of stress. I was
              just curious if it was extremely
              > stressful. Also, is it best to have your own business, work for a
              doctor or a hospital?

              > Thank you for any information.
              >
              > Carol

              Live well, love much, laugh often...