question

  • cmsirish2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2007
      hi,

      i'm new to this list, and we had a question come up yesterday.

      i work for a not for profit hospice. we have two locations, one
      administrative and business and the other is mostly clinical.

      one of the clinical administrators has decided that both locations
      should maintain identical paper files. in other words, she wants all
      clinical information and all financial paperwork in both locations.

      to us ignorant billers (sarcasm), that seems like a waste of resources.
      we have no need to see nurses' notes; and i'm finding it hard to grasp
      why a hospice nurse would need a copy of a Medicare election form to
      adequately care for the patient.

      is there a source, unimpeachable if possible, to back us up? or,
      conversely, is there a source mandating identical business and
      clinical files?

      thanks!
    • J. Scott Gleaton
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2007
        My suggestion would be to go to an electronic medical record. This will reduce your paper and will allow both places to have access to the medical record without duplicating it. If you would like further information or my recommendations to a program email me off this list.

        alcowboy03@...

        J. Scott Gleaton
        10515 US Hwy 431
        LaFayette AL 36862-5421
        Telephone: (334) 864-5112

        i'm new to this list, and we had a question come up yesterday.

        i work for a not for profit hospice. we have two locations, one

        administrative and business and the other is mostly clinical.

        one of the clinical administrators has decided that both locations

        should maintain identical paper files. in other words, she wants all

        clinical information and all financial paperwork in both locations.

        to us ignorant billers (sarcasm), that seems like a waste of resources.

        we have no need to see nurses' notes; and i'm finding it hard to grasp

        why a hospice nurse would need a copy of a Medicare election form to

        adequately care for the patient.

        is there a source, unimpeachable if possible, to back us up? or,

        conversely, is there a source mandating identical business and

        clinical files?

        thanks!

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o {font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal {
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq {margin:4;}
        -->

      • ngailcobb
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2007
          Going with an electronic medical record system might prove cost
          prohibitive and not accomplish everything bestowed upon you,
          especially given the need to maintain financial information. Perhaps
          a better solution is a document management system that is generally
          much less expensive with more flexibility. While I don't want this
          to sound like a sales pitch, you should investigate
          www.futurefiling.com as well as others out there to see which one
          suits your needs best.

          Good Luck

          N'Gai Cobb

          --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "cmsirish2001" <cmsirish@...>
          wrote:

          > hi,
          >
          > i'm new to this list, and we had a question come up yesterday.
          >
          > i work for a not for profit hospice. we have two locations, one
          > administrative and business and the other is mostly clinical.
          >
          > one of the clinical administrators has decided that both locations
          > should maintain identical paper files. in other words, she wants
          all
          > clinical information and all financial paperwork in both locations.
          >
          > to us ignorant billers (sarcasm), that seems like a waste of
          resources.
          > we have no need to see nurses' notes; and i'm finding it hard to
          grasp
          > why a hospice nurse would need a copy of a Medicare election form to
          > adequately care for the patient.
          >
          > is there a source, unimpeachable if possible, to back us up? or,
          > conversely, is there a source mandating identical business and
          > clinical files?
          >
          > thanks!

        • CM's Irish
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2007
            i guess i did not make my question clear, since i'm getting answers about electronic systems.

            maybe if i rephrase..

            is there a source for the convention of keeping financial information separate from clinical information?

            if so, what is it?

            or is this one of those "we've always done it that way, why should we change now" situations?

            ngailcobb <ncobb@...> wrote: Going with an electronic medical record system might prove cost

            wrote:

            > hi,
            >
            > i'm new to this list, and we had a question come up yesterday.
            >
            > i work for a not for profit hospice. we have two locations, one
            > administrative and business and the other is mostly clinical.
            >
            > one of the clinical administrators has decided that both locations
            > should maintain identical paper files. in other words, she wants
            all
            > clinical information and all financial paperwork in both locations.
            >
            > to us ignorant billers (sarcasm), that seems like a waste of
            resources.
            > we have no need to see nurses' notes; and i'm finding it hard to
            grasp
            > why a hospice nurse would need a copy of a Medicare election form to
            > adequately care for the patient.
            >
            > is there a source, unimpeachable if possible, to back us up? or,
            > conversely, is there a source mandating identical business and
            > clinical files?
            >
            > thanks!

          • twillis0703
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
              what is the differnce in billing and coding?
            • Onassis Henderson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
                Medical billing is the process of submitting and following up on claims to insurance companies, government agencies in order to receive payment for services rendered.

                Medical coding is assigning codes to diagnoses and procedures which help in financial reimbursement from government agencies and insurance companies.

                twillis0703 <twillis0703@...> wrote:
                what is the differnce in billing and coding?

              • Lin
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Just to add to that, there is greater liability with coding and it
                  should/must be done with the medical chart in front of you for coding.

                  Linda Walker

                  Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
                  <http://www.billerswebsite.com> http://www.billerswebsite.com
                  A division of K&L Media, LLC
                  <http://www.klmediallc.com> http://www.klmediallc.com

                  Website Design & Management for the Medical Services Industry