Re: Physical & Annual Gyn Coding

  • Pauline
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
      She is using the Phsyical E/M - such as 99396 - depending on age.

      --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "KERRY SYLVAN"

      MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com<mailto:MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com>
      > Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 7:36 AM
      > Subject: [MedicalBillers] Physical & Annual Gyn Coding
      >

      > Hey Everyone...
      >
      > I'd like to get an idea how everyone codes their physicals and/or
      > Annual Gyn encounters. I'll use an example of how one of the
      Doctor's
      > I bill for fills out her Superbill.
      >
      > She'll mark the appropriate E&M physical code.
      > She'll also write down 1-3 diagnosis, like weight management,
      > dermatitis, and hypertension.
      > She'll also mark a U/A and sometimes the Hemmocult.
      > And lastly, she will write Annual Gyn/Pap/Breast exam on the
      encounter.

      > Thanks for your inpute ;-)
      >
      > Pauline

    • mrspfcsmith
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
        It would be the 99384-99397 series, depending on the patients age.

        --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "J. Scott Gleaton"
        <alcowboy03@...> wrote:

        > I would use 99213 or 99214 based on the detail of the exam done.
        >
        > J. Scott Gleaton
        > 10515 US Hwy 431
        > LaFayette AL 36862-5421
        > Telephone: (334) 864-5112

      • Mike Milonas
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
          Scott,
          How do I start learning about medical coding and billing? I want to learn some of the basics before I start any classes.
          Thank you for any information that you can give.
          Kathy

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
            Do you work in a medical office or in any medical setting? That would be a great place to start. I started with a bunch of old women in an rural community hospital 20 years ago and skipped that length and now am office manager at an orthopaedist. Pretty much it is usually by trial and error.

            J. Scott Gleaton
            10515 US Hwy 431
            LaFayette AL 36862-5421
            Telephone: (334) 864-5112

            How do I start learning about medical coding and billing? I want to learn some of the basics before I start any classes.
            Thank you for any information that you can give.
            Kathy

            I AM CURIOUS TO KNOW, WHAT ARE THE E&M PHYSICAL CODE SHE IS USING?
            I'd like to get an idea how everyone codes their physicals and/or
            Annual Gyn encounters. I'll use an example of how one of the Doctor's
            I bill for fills out her Superbill.

            She'll mark the appropriate E&M physical code.
            She'll also write down 1-3 diagnosis, like weight management,
            dermatitis, and hypertension.
            She'll also mark a U/A and sometimes the Hemmocult.
            And lastly, she will write Annual Gyn/Pap/Breast exam on the encounter.

            Thanks for your inpute ;-)

            Pauline

            Want to start your own business?
            Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
            http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ r-index

          • Mike Milonas
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
              I work in a small pediatric practice and only get to post charges about 2 days a month. We are a very new slow practice and we have a outside billing group that bills for us. I want to know what should I study first. Someone told me Understanding Health Insurance was a good place to start. I would love to get into a place where I can observe and learn from someone who does it everyday.
              Kathy
              '

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 15, 2006
                THATS RIGHT- PREVENTIVE MEDICINE 99384 (NEW PT)-99397 (EST PT)

                THEN THE DIAGNOSIS WOULD DEFINITELY BE SOME KIND OF V CODE FOR PAP SCREEN
                ETC. AND ANY OTHER DIAGNOSIS FOUND AT THE TIME OF VISIT.

                NOW, DONT FORGET TO CODE FOR THE ADDITIONAL STUFF THAT GOES ALONG WITH THIS
                KIND ON SCREENING GYN EXAM..... FYI: THERE ARE HCPCS CODES & CPT CODES, THEY
                VARY BY INSURANCE COMPANY USE & PAYMENT

                SUCH AS:
                99384 NP PREVENTIVE MEDICINE VISIT

                I AM NOT SURE WHICH OF THESE CODES APPLY TO YOUR PT VISITS BUT FOR THE PAP
                SMEAR IT SELF ONE OF THESE IS APPROPRIATE
                88141
                88150
                88155
                88164
                88167
                88174
                88175

                Q0091 PREP & CONVEYANCE (THIS IS USED FOR THE HANDLING OF THE SPECIMEN)
                G0101 CERVICAL VAGINAL
                G0107 COLORECTAL FECAL EXAM

                HOPE THIS HELPS, DISCUSS IT WITH THE DOC FIRST OF COURSE, I THINK THEY LIKE
                IT WHEN WE BECOME VERY CREATIVE IN INCREASING THE REIMBURSEMENT RATE. LOL

                ABC