Re: [MedicalBillers] Looking to form a network group with Medical Billers and Coders

  • B Burgess
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 12, 2005
      I'm interested ! I'm an RN, almost CPC (exam in Dec) currently working in a medical school setting, but would like to work at home eventually.

      Barbara

      "Helen L. Avery, CPC" <helenaverycpc@...> wrote:
      I am a coding consultant, I too would like to join your group.  I believe that transcriptionisits and billers/coders can work together to offer a complete package for physicians; it would be great to have smaller companies/self-emplyed entities offering these same packages through alliances.
      Helen Lynn Avery, CPC

      shana briceno <shanabriceno299@...> wrote:
      I would LOVE to form this group!   i am new to coding but i have been an Office Manager for a long time and so i know alot about billings...but could learn alot from others!
      lets get started! sign me up!

      Suz <Accuscribe@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone I have a transcription company and I am looking to form a network group with billers and coders, I've always thought about doing this but recent events have kind of forced my hand and I'm putting it out there to see if anyone would be interested doing it not only as a way to support each other because being self employed can be really very lonely and isolated but also to share ideas and leads and serve as a referral base even.  If anyone thinks it's a good idea and would be interested I would love to hear from you.  I've had a particularly lousy week, and I guess I've gotten to the point where I figure I don't have anything to lose by putting out there and if anyone flames me well, at least I tried and did something proactive towards helping with the situation that I am in right now, because I got complacent and put all my eggs in one basket.  Anyway, if anyone has anything to say please let me know.

      Susan

      shana briceno wrote on 9/11/2005, 8:48 PM:

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! for Good

      Yahoo! for Good

    • B Burgess
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 12, 2005
        Thanks, that's what I thought. I know not to code "suspected", "rule out" etc as a reason for the exam, but when "This vs that" "and/or" is the actual reading radiologists interpretation, I sometimes find myself second guessing. After 30 yrs of nursing, I have to remember to separate that from coding or I find myself doing my own interpreting and diagnosing !

        Barb

        mandybcoder <mandybcoder@...> wrote:
        I would code the symptom.  When coding outpatient charts, you cannot
        code "rule-outs" or "suspected" or "this vs. that", so the symptom is
        your default.  If the person is an inpatient, you can code "rule-
        outs", "suspected", and "this vs. that", but with so many options you
        have, the symptom is the best route to take in my opinion.

        --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Burgess, RN"
        <granbfly@y...> wrote:
        > I have a question for a more experienced coder than I. It seems I
        run
        > into this every summer with the turnover and a new group of beginner
        > residents. I am looking at a chest xray report that
        > reads   "ATELECTASIS VERSUS LEFT LOWER LOBE CONSOLIDATION AND/OR
        > INFILTRATE"  I'm never quite sure what to do with these wishy-washy
        > interps.  Do I code atelectasis ? Pneumonia ? Lung disease NOS ??
        Or,
        > should I just revert back to the reported symptom which, in this
        case,
        > is chest pain ??
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > B.Burgess, RN
        > CPC Wannabe

        Yahoo! for Good

      • B Burgess
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 12, 2005

          <granbfly@y...> wrote:
          > I have a question for a more experienced coder than I. It seems I
          run
          > into this every summer with the turnover and a new group of beginner
          > residents. I am looking at a chest xray report that
          > reads   "ATELECTASIS VERSUS LEFT LOWER LOBE CONSOLIDATION AND/OR
          > INFILTRATE"  I'm never quite sure what to do with these wishy-washy
          > interps.  Do I code atelectasis ? Pneumonia ? Lung disease NOS ??
          Or,
          > should I just revert back to the reported symptom which, in this
          case,
          > is chest pain ??
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > B.Burgess, RN
          > CPC Wannabe

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • B Burgess
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 12, 2005

            <granbfly@y...> wrote:
            > I have a question for a more experienced coder than I. It seems I
            run
            > into this every summer with the turnover and a new group of beginner
            > residents. I am looking at a chest xray report that
            > reads   "ATELECTASIS VERSUS LEFT LOWER LOBE CONSOLIDATION AND/OR
            > INFILTRATE"  I'm never quite sure what to do with these wishy-washy
            > interps.  Do I code atelectasis ? Pneumonia ? Lung disease NOS ??
            Or,
            > should I just revert back to the reported symptom which, in this
            case,
            > is chest pain ??
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > B.Burgess, RN
            > CPC Wannabe

            Yahoo! for Good

          • shana briceno
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 12, 2005
              everything!   my doctor does the artificial disc replacements---he had a partner that helps so this would be the 62 modifier  but what about the PA?  how do i code this   and has anyone had any luck in getting this paid?

              B Burgess <granbfly@...> wrote:
              What is it you need help with ?? Procedure coding, diagnosis, E&M ????

              shana briceno <shanabriceno299@...> wrote:
              hello,

              i just started working for a group of spine doctors!  They are great...however i am scared to death!  HELP!  can anyone help me out on some ideas on what to look for and tips?

              thanks
              shana

              "Barbara Burgess, RN" <granbfly@...> wrote:
              I have a question for a more experienced coder than I. It seems I run
              into this every summer with the turnover and a new group of beginner
              residents. I am looking at a chest xray report that
              reads   "ATELECTASIS VERSUS LEFT LOWER LOBE CONSOLIDATION AND/OR
              INFILTRATE"  I'm never quite sure what to do with these wishy-washy
              interps.  Do I code atelectasis ? Pneumonia ? Lung disease NOS ??  Or,
              should I just revert back to the reported symptom which, in this case,
              is chest pain ??

              Thanks,

              B.Burgess, RN
              CPC Wannabe

              Yahoo! for Good
              Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Cynthia Campbell

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 12, 2005
                    Oh, you are not alone in doing your own interpretation and diagnosing!  I am just going though a third party audit for one of the specialties I code for.  The coder that was here previously did a lot of things very very wrong (she had no medical background), and one of those things was diagnosing the patients.  The neonates in this clinic are very ill already, and most certainly don't need more diagnoses given to them.

                    <granbfly@y...> wrote:
                    > I have a question for a more experienced coder than I. It seems I
                    run
                    > into this every summer with the turnover and a new group of beginner
                    > residents. I am looking at a chest xray report that
                    > reads   "ATELECTASIS VERSUS LEFT LOWER LOBE CONSOLIDATION AND/OR
                    > INFILTRATE"  I'm never quite sure what to do with these wishy-washy
                    > interps.  Do I code atelectasis ? Pneumonia ? Lung disease NOS ??
                    Or,
                    > should I just revert back to the reported symptom which, in this
                    case,
                    > is chest pain ??
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > B.Burgess, RN
                    > CPC Wannabe

                    Yahoo! for Good

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • B Burgess
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 12, 2005
                      Yikes ! Now that's scary !! I'm not quite that bad.   I just find myself  doing things like wanting to call sinusitis "acute" because there are air fluid levels mentioned or things like that.   Now that I've been out of nursing and into coding for a year and a half, the coding rules are finally starting to sink in.

                      Barb

                      <granbfly@y...> wrote:
                      > I have a question for a more experienced coder than I. It seems I
                      run
                      > into this every summer with the turnover and a new group of beginner
                      > residents. I am looking at a chest xray report that
                      > reads   "ATELECTASIS VERSUS LEFT LOWER LOBE CONSOLIDATION AND/OR
                      > INFILTRATE"  I'm never quite sure what to do with these wishy-washy
                      > interps.  Do I code atelectasis ? Pneumonia ? Lung disease NOS ??
                      Or,
                      > should I just revert back to the reported symptom which, in this
                      case,
                      > is chest pain ??
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > B.Burgess, RN
                      > CPC Wannabe

                      Yahoo! for Good

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Yahoo! for Good

                    • Sandra K Morten
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 15, 2005
                        Hi Susan, I would love to join your group also. I have had a billing co. with a partner for 2 yrs.
                        We don't have any clients at the time.(no $$ to market)
                        Sandy
                        S & J Billing

                        Suz <Accuscribe@...> wrote:
[...]

                        sandy
                      • shana briceno
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 15, 2005
                          ok BILLERS...

                          need help    can you bill a 22612 with a 20930   our insurance companies are denying this charge  i am going to appeal   just wondered if anyone had any luck with this?\
                          thanks and it is almost FRIDAY!

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 15, 2005
                            I don't see why not............ it's not bundled. It was an allograft and not an autograft ? (I would think that either is billable, but an autograft definitely is)   Here's the description of the procedure from Encoder Pro for 20930...........

                            Spinal arthrodesis, or fusion, may be done for conditions of herniated disk, degenerative, traumatic, and/or congenital lesions, or to stabilize fractures or dislocations of the spine. The physician makes an incision overlying the vertebrae and separates the fascia and the supraspinous ligaments in line with the incision. The physician prepares the vertebrae and lifts ligaments and muscles out of the way. A chisel elevator is used to strip away the capsules of the lateral articulations and the articular cartilage and cortical bone is excised. Separately reportable chips are cut from the fossa below the lateral articulations and from the laminae, or fragments of the spinous process are taken and then used to fill the interlaminal space and the gap left by the articular cartilage removal. Additional bone grafts are taken from the ilium or other donor bone and are used to join the laminae. The periosteum, ligaments, and paravertebral muscles are sutured to secure the bone grafting. The skin and subcutaneous tissues are closed with sutures, as well. Report 22600 for cervical arthrodesis; 22610 for thoracic arthrodesis; 22612 for lumbar arthrodesis; and 22614 for each additional vertebral segment in conjunction with the code for the primary procedure.

                            Does that help any ??

                             Barb

                            Suz <Accuscribe@...> wrote:
[...]

                          • Viola R Robinson
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 13, 2005
                              I would love to become part of your network as well. I own a medical billing and marketing company. I also teach full time in the allied health department at a community college in Pennsylvania.

                              Please add my name to your roll call and I look forward to communicating with the people within the community. See the message below. I would love to hear from those of you that are interested. This includes those that own medical transcription companies as well.

                              Coalition of Healthcare Administrative Management Professionals (CHAMPS), www.champsnetwork.com is preparing its end of the year Directory. The CHAMPS Directory: Your Resource Guide to Medical Administration Companies and Services is a publishing effort by CHAMPS� senior management team. We are in search of health care professionals who can contribute articles for our fourth quarter publication.

                              The theme for the Directory is �The Role of Networking in the Healthcare Community�. CHAMPS has members throughout the United States. CHAMPS feels that articles submitted from professionals throughout the representative regions would be and honor and learning experience.

                              Previous Directories can be found on the CHAMPS website in the Forum area.

                              CHAMPS continues to accept ideas and comments from the health care community which could enhance the information presented to its readers. Contact CHAMPS at info@...

                              Should you decide to contribute an article to the Directory, please use the criteria below as guidelines for your submission.

                              • 1)     Length � 100-200 words
                              • 2)     Submission deadline October 31, 2005
                              • 3)     Information to include in the article:

                                      Do you belong to a professional organization?

                                      What type of networking opportunities has this organization presented for you?

                                      Why is it important to join a professional organization?

                                      What are the advantages and disadvantages of belonging to a professional organization?

                                      How have you benefited from joining this organization(s)?

                                      What type of support have you provided to your colleagues via your professional organization?

                                      What measures have your organization taken to recruit members for the future?

                                   What does this mean for your organization for future goals and objectives?

                              CHAMPS looks forward to hearing from you soon.

                              Viola R Robinson
                              Total Outsourcing Network
                              Coalition of Healthcare Administrative Management Professionals
                              PO Box 30083
                              Elkins Park, PA 19027
                              Phone (800)594-1016
                              Fax (215) 924-8777
                              http://www.tonhealthcare.org
                              http://www.champsnetwork.com

                              Confidentiality Notice

                              This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact TON by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
                            • pavrr
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 13, 2005

                                vrobinson@...
                                http://champsnetwork.com

                                --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "MELISSA" <rdinsure@b...>
                                wrote:

                                > I am a medical biller. I would love to join your group.
                                > Melissa

                              • Michelle Uhl
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 13, 2005
                                  hey guys.. can you count me in as well!!

                                  wrote:

                                  > I am a medical biller. I would love to join your group.
                                  > Melissa

                                • Cynthia Campbell
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 13, 2005
                                    I also would like to join the network group for medical billers and coders.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Cynthia

                                    wrote:

                                    > I am a medical biller. I would love to join your group.
                                    > Melissa

                                  • Sandra K Morten
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 13, 2005
                                      Count me in as well. Please let me know what to do.
                                      Thanks
                                      Sandy

                                      wrote:

                                      > I am a medical biller. I would love to join your group.
                                      > Melissa

                                      sandy