Re: [MedicalBillers] Hello. I'm a newbie to the group and billing.

  • Jillian Borders
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
      Hi,
      I found myself in the same position not long ago. I was told to put my application on every web-site possible, and to go out to each place of business that I would like to bill for; and present yourself, your business and services to them. Also, go to some meetings/conventions and meet with doctors and others in your field. One other thing you could do is volunteer at the local hospital filing paperwork, etc.

      Thank you,
      Jillian Borders
      jajafk <jajafk@...> wrote:
      I graduated this past March from Bryman College and I have a question
      for all of you. How did you land your first billing and or coding job?
      It seems that ALL employers only want billers and coders that have
      atleast 2 years of experience. I feel like I'm chasing my tail. How
      can I get the experience if no one will give me a chance, ya know?

      Ttys,
      Lita

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • oceanstar1947
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2005
        Hi Lita,

        One thing I would suggest is join a few temp employment agencies and
        look for temp jobs that way. That way the hospital or medical
        provider
        can get to know you and what you can do. That's how I started. I
        got
        a temp job through an agency with the local hospital to help a
        biller.
        They liked me and I liked them, and luckily they were hiring at the
        time, so after a few months I became a permanent employee. I think
        it
        is worth a shot.

        Doris

        --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "jajafk" <jajafk@y...> wrote:
        > I graduated this past March from Bryman College and I have a
        question
        > for all of you. How did you land your first billing and or coding
        job?
        > It seems that ALL employers only want billers and coders that have
        > atleast 2 years of experience. I feel like I'm chasing my tail. How
        > can I get the experience if no one will give me a chance, ya know?
        >
        > Ttys,
        > Lita
      • jajafk
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2005
          Thank you all for your help and advice, I really do appreciate it
          all. I am so glad that this group exists and, that I found it. At
          Bryman, their are externship opportunities for almost every course
          except Billing and Coding which is rediculous, to me. I think that
          we need it just as much as M A's, especially since M A's have hands
          on experience in their classrooms almost daily. I'm pretty sure
          that "reading" about billing and coding is somewhat different than
          actually doing it. I will take everything that you all have written
          and if you can think of anything else please don't hesitate. I'm
          glad that I'm not alone in this. I've recently started having some
          health issues but as soon as I get better, I will get started on
          everything that was recommended to me.

          Thanks again,

          Lita

          --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "oceanstar1947"
          <oceanstar1947@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Lita,
          >
          > One thing I would suggest is join a few temp employment agencies
          and
          > look for temp jobs that way. That way the hospital or medical
          > provider
          > can get to know you and what you can do. That's how I started. I
          > got
          > a temp job through an agency with the local hospital to help a
          > biller.
          > They liked me and I liked them, and luckily they were hiring at
          the
          > time, so after a few months I became a permanent employee. I think
          > it
          > is worth a shot.
          >
          > Doris
        • Joe
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
            Hi i am new here too and i hope that you find a great job and all i
            hope you well on your search let us know how things turn out. I am
            taking my CCA coding exam this week and i been looking at the job
            banks here in Minnesota. I been checking hospitals out and checking
            area hospital websites and talking to small clinics too. At least try
            and get my foot in the door. I live with my parents now so it helps
            with costs. I been doing temp work here and there and odds and ends
            jobs to help make things work. My goal has always been to work for a
            hospital someday.

            anyways catch you later
            Joe