Re: Digest Number 518

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 20, 2004
      But the lab is not billing all insurances, we are billing the
      majority of the insurances while the lab is invoicing our practice.

      --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "JOSETTE THOMAS"
      <abcmdbiller123_55@m...> wrote:
      > YOU SHOULD ONLY BE BILLING FOR THE COLLECTION OF THE SPECIMEN FOR
      THE PROCEDURE. FOR EXAMPLE YOU MUST COLLECT SOMETHING TO BE
      TESTED. BLOOD, URINE, SPUTUM, FECES, PAP SMEAR AND WHAT EVER
      ELSE. BUT THE IDEA IS TO COLLECT AND ONLY BILL FOR THE COLLECTION,
      NOT FOR THE PROCEDURE, THE LAB IS BILLING FOR THE PROCEDURE THEY
      PERFORM. AS FOR THE REVIEW AND INTERPRETATION YOU BILL THE SAME
      PROCEDURE CODES BUT YOU MUST APPEND MODIFIER 26 WHICH IS THE
      PROFESSIONAL COMPONENT DONE BY THE DOCTOR IE GIVING THE PATIENTS THE
      RESULTS OF THE PROCEDURE. NO MODIFIER 90 SHOULD BE ON THE CLAIM, DO
      NOT CHECK OUTSIDE LAB EITHER.

      MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com<mailto:MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com>

      > Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 8:12 PM
      > Subject: [MedicalBillers] Re: Digest Number 518
      >

      > Oh, Josette! You shouldn't be working at that time of night!
      > Okay, in response:
      > Coding-understood
      > Billing-like you said, another world!
      > We perform the routine labs in-office, i.e. 85025, 81000, etc.,
      we
      > own the equipment, and a registered lab tech performs the
      > procedures. No problem with that. We're billing on the same
      claim
      > as the office visit, EKG, xrays, etc.
      > The problem comes in when we bill for the labs drawn in the
      office,
      > but sent out for the procedures to be performed. The results
      are
      > then sent back to the doctor, who in turn discusses with the
      > patient. On the same date, we will sometimes have the routine
      in-
      > office labs as well as the outside labs.
      > In the past, they have been billing everything on the same claim
      > showing the provider as our doctor in blocks 31 and 33 and the
      > facility as our office in block 32.
      > Is this correct? Or is there something we should be doing to
      > identify that the lab procedures, i.e. panels, drug screens,
      etc.,
      > were not actually performed in our office?
      > You've already said that marking the "Outside Lab" block is
      wrong
      > and that using modifier -90 is wrong. What's the right way?
      > Can you understand where I'm confused? Help!!! :D
      > Thanks!
      >

      > --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "JOSETTE THOMAS"
      > <abcmdbiller123_55@m...> wrote:
      > > HEY RACHEL, NOTICE THE HOUR ON THIS EMAIL, SLEEPLESS IN
      > NY!!!!!!!! BURNING THE 4 AM CANDLE??? OK OK I WILL COUNT
      SHEEP
      > WHEN I AM FINISHED. OKAY, LETS SEE WHAT WE HAVE HERE......
      > >
      > > GENERAL RULE- CODING INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDE LISTING EACH LAB
      > PROCEDURE SEPARATELY, UNLESS IT IS PART OF A PANEL.
      > >
      > > #1 BE CAREFUL WITH THE PANELS AS THEY ARE VERY TRICKY. YOU
      MUST
      > ANALYZE ALL CODES LISTED IN THE PANEL DESCRIPTION, AS TO NOT
      > OVERLAP/USING THE SAME CODE MORE THAN ONCE. NOTICE HOW 80050
      > GENERAL HEALTH PANEL, STATES THIS PANEL MUST INCLUDE BOTH THE
      80053
      > & 85025, WHICH MEANS THE PANEL IS MORE OR LESS A PACKAGE DEAL.
      > >
      > > #2 80053 METABOLIC PANEL, NOTICE YOU'RE UNABLE TO USE THIS
      CODE
      > WITH 80076, BECAUSE THE SAME COMPONENTS ARE ASSOCIATED, COMPARE
      &
      > MATCH EACH CODES IN THE PANEL. THEY ARE ALMOST THE SAME. THINK
      OF
      > IT AS BILLING TWICE (OVER CODING) IF YOU USE A PANEL WITH THE
      SAME
      > CODES IN IT MORE THAN ONCE.
      > >
      > > #3 80076 HEPATIC PANEL- CANNOT BE USED AT THE SAME TIME WITH
      80053

      > > #4 81000 BILL NORMALLY AS ANY OTHER PROCEDURE, (URINE DIP
      STICK)
      > IS A ROUTINE OFFICE PROCEDURE.
      > >
      > > #5 85025 BILL NORMALLY AS ANY OTHER PROCEDURE, IF PERFORMED
      > SEPARATELY. (CBC)
      > >
      > > #6 80061 BILL NORMALLY AS ANY OTHER PROCEDURE, IF PERFORMED
      > SEPARATELY. (LIPID PANEL)
      > >
      > > NOW, AS WE ALL KNOW, THERE IS TWO ASPECTS TO THIS INDUSTRY.
      > BILLING VS CODING. WHAT WE JUST DID WAS CODING YOUR
      PROCEDURES. AS
      > FOR THE BILLING ITSELF????? QUESTIONS? THREE RULES......
      > >
      > > 1) YOUR OFFICE PERFORMS THESE PROCEDURES IN YOUR OFFICE?
      > > 2) YOUR OFFICE OWNS THE MACHINERY TO PERFORM THESE PROCEDURES?
      > > 3) DOES THE DOCTOR OR A QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN PERFORM THE
      SERVICES
      > & OR PROVIDE THE RESULTS TO THE PATIENT.
      > >
      > > THERE IS A QUESTION OF GETTING REIMBURSED FOR THE ENTIRE
      PROCESS,
      > PERFORMING THE PROCEDURE THE TECHNICAL ASPECT AND RESULTS
      > INTERPRETATION THE PROFESSIONAL COMPONENT. WHICH MEANS GLOBAL
      > PROCEDURE. BEFORE WE GO ANY FURTHER WHY DON'T YOU RESPOND FIRST
      AND
      > THEN WE CAN TAKE IT FROM THERE.
      > >
      > > JOSETTE THOMAS
      > > ACCURATE BILLING CENTER (OWNER)
      > > MEDICAL BILLER/CONSULTANT/INSTRUCTOR/CO-COORDINATOR
      > > EMAIL:ABCMDBILLER123_55@M...

      PERFORMING
      > AND
      > > ANY CODES YOU CURRENTLY USE. ALSO, TELL ME WHAT STATE YOU
      ARE
      > IN
      > > JUST TO BE SURE I DON'T MIX MY STATE (NY) RULES WITH YOUR
      STATE
      > > RULES, REMEMBER STATE LAW DIFFERS FROM STATE TO STATE.
      ANYWAY,
      > FROM
      > > THERE I WOULD BE ABLE TO HELP MORE.
      > > >
      > > > AS FOR MODIFIER -90 WELL, THIS IS SOMETHING ALSO USED
      > > TO "REFERENCE OUTSIDE LAB". SERVICES PERFORMED BY A PARTY
      OTHER
      > > THAN THE TREATING PHYSICIAN.. YOU SHOULD NOT BE USING THIS
      > EITHER.
      > > >
      > > > BOX 32 OF THE HCFA 1500 FORM OR THE ELECTRONIC EQUIVALENT
      IS
      > USED
      > > TO EXPLAIN THE LOCATION OF WHERE THE SERVICES WERE
      RENDERED.
      > EVEN
      > > THOUGH BOX 32 SAY "EXCEPT IF HOME OR OFFICE", MY STATE LAW
      > REQUIRES
      > > ME TO REPEAT THE OFFICE INFO. I THINK IT WAS BACK IN JULY
      OF
      > THIS
      > > YEAR SOMETIME. ANYWAY, LET ME KNOW WHICH CODE SERVICES WE
      ARE
      > > DEALING WITH AS RULES APPLY TO EVERYTHING WE DO IN THIS
      INDUSTRY.

      <abcmdbiller123_55@m...>

      > > ___

      > > ___
      > > >
      > > > Message: 1
      > > > Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:56:47 -0000
      > > > From: "Rachel" <cnrhood@a...>
      > > > Subject: Medisoft Outside Lab Charges
      > > >

      > > > I started billing for a family practice and because I
      had no
      > > > experience billing for outside lab charges, I obtained
      > advice
      > > from
      > > > the group. Everything seems to be fine with the
      exception of
      > our
      > > > electronic billing through Medisoft. We are getting a
      lot of
      > > > rejections stating Missing/Invalid Lab Charges.
      > > > Medisoft is telling me that block 20 should not be
      checked
      > yes
      > > > unless you are the actual laboratory, which is opposite
      of
      > > > everything I have been told.
      > > > Does anyone else use Medisoft? How did you solve this
      > problem?
      > > > Thanks for your help!
      > > > Rachel Hood, CPC
      > > > cnrhood@a...

      > > ___

      > > ___
      > > >
      > > > Message: 2
      > > > Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:07:19 -0400
      > > > From: "JOSETTE THOMAS" <abcmdbiller123_55@m...>
      > > > Subject: Re: Medisoft Outside Lab Charges
      > > >
      > > > Hello, Rachel
      > > > my name is Josette, I am in the New York area, and am
      also
      > using
      > > Medisoft.
      > > > I am replying to your message because I would also like
      > > network with
      > > > someone using the same software. Medisoft does have
      their
      > > problems as does
      > > > everyone else since there really isn't an ultimate
      billing
      > > software out
      > > > there. I have been using Medisoft for about 2 years
      now, I
      > > cannot begin to
      > > > tell you all the issues that occur, but they are pretty
      > reliable
      > > when it
      > > > comes to fixing any technical issue you may encounter.
      > > >
      > > > About your current issue.....
      > > >
      > > > when you say outside lab work I want to be sure we are
      on
      > the
      > > same page.
      > > >
      > > > In Medisoft program, in case, miscellaneous, first two
      boxes:

      > > > outside lab work & .00 lab charges
      > > >
      > > > These boxes are used only for an outside laboratory
      > facility,
      > > because they
      > > > must include on their claims the purchase price of the
      > materials
      > > that they
      > > > use on patients when billing.
      > > >
      > > > You said you are billing for a family practice doctor.
      What
      > lab
      > > work are
      > > > they doing (in the office)? Maybe I can help you with
      the
      > > coding of those
      > > > services from the CPT-4 book.
      > > >
      > > > If your doctor has an on site lab, with his own
      equipment

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12c5mfl82/M=315388.5455590.654127<http:/
      /us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12c5mfl82/M=315388.5455590.654127><http:/
      > /us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12c5mfl82/M=315388.5455590.654127><http:/
      > > /us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12c5mfl82/M=315388.5455590.654127>

      3.1901630/D=grphealth/S=1705061218:HM/EXP=1097629009/A=2372349/R=0/SI
      > > G=12idg
      > > > qpgc/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?
      <https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?>
      > <https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?
      <https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?>>

      pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL<https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplicatio
      <https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplicatio>

      <https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplicatio<https://www.orchardban
      k.com/hcs/hcsapplicatio>>
      > > n?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL>
      > > > 40WL1004SS>

      om/>
      oo.com/><http://groups.yahoo.c<http://groups.yahoo.c/>

      yahoo.com/gr><http://groups.<http://groups./>

      yahoo.com/gr><http://groups.yaho<http://groups.yaho/><http://groups.y
      aho/<http://groups.yaho/>>
      > > o.com/gr>
      > > > oup/MedicalBillers/>

      > > > MedicalBillers-
      > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<mailto:MedicalBillers-unsubsc
      > > >
      > > > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
      Yahoo!

      Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/
      terms/><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/>

      terms/><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/><http

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12cusns3b/M=315388.5497957.6576270.30011
      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12cusns3b/M=315388.5497957.6576270.30011

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12cusns3b/M=315388.5497957.6576270.30011
      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12cusns3b/M=315388.5497957.6576270.30011

      76/D=grphealth/S=1705061218:HM/EXP=1097723232/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id8
      > > 13k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?
      <https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?>
      > <https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?
      <https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?>>
      > > pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

      om/>
      > /group/MedicalBillers/><http://groups.yahoo.com<http://groups.yah
      oo.com/><http://groups.yahoo.c<http://groups.yahoo.c/>
      > om/>
      > > /group/MedicalBillers/>

      > > > MedicalBillers-
      > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<mailto:MedicalBillers-

      > Terms
      > > of

      Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/
      terms/><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/>
      > terms/>>.
      > >

      > > A list where we can all help each obtain maximum
      reimbursement!

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12cs5nta7/M=315388.5497957.6576270.30011
      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12cs5nta7/M=315388.5497957.6576270.30011

      76/D=grphealth/S=1705061218:HM/EXP=1098065466/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id8
      > 13k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?
      <https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?>
      > pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

      om/>
      > /group/MedicalBillers/>

      > > MedicalBillers-
      > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<mailto:MedicalBillers-

      Terms
      > of
      Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/
      terms/>>.

      > A list where we can all help each obtain maximum reimbursement!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12cglt8u4/M=315388.5500238.6578046.30011
      76/D=grphealth/S=1705061218:HM/EXP=1098317617/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id8
      13k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?
      pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

      > MedicalBillers-
      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<mailto:MedicalBillers-

      of Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
    • JOSETTE THOMAS
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 21, 2004
        NOW RACHEL THAT CERTAINLY CHANGES THINGS. YOU WILL HAVE TO SEPARATE YOUR BILLING.  ONE AS THE OFFICE AND TWO FOR THE LAB WORK.  THE RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS LAB, I HAVE NEVER REALLY HEARD OF SUCH A THING.  NOW THIS COULD BE REAL TRICKY, ALMOST BORDER LINE FRAUDULENT THEY ARE NOT PARTICIPATING AND OR REGISTERED PROPERLY WITH ALL ENTITIES FOR REIMBURSEMENTS.  QUESTIONS:

        1. IS THERE A REASON WHY THEY ARE NOT BILLING THEIR OWN WORK?  WHAT EVER THE ANSWER...
        2. WHO OWN THE EQUIPMENTS TO DO THE ACTUAL PROCEDURES.  IF THEY DO, YOU CANT BILL FOR SOMEONE ELSE WORK FROM YOUR DOCTORS OFFICE OR UNDER YOU DOCTORS PARTICIPATION, AND MOST OF ALL HOPEFULLY YOUR DOCTOR DOES NOT HAVE ANY PART OWNERSHIP OR REFERRAL DEALS WITH THIS ENTITY. IF THAT IS THE CASE THIS COULD MEAN REAL BIG TROUBLE.
        3. NOW IF THE LAB SEZ TO DO THEIR BILLING FOR THEM.  THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE A DIFFERENT SET OF DATA DIRECTORY IN YOUR MEDICAL BILLING PROGRAM AND IT WOULD BE SET FOR BILLING FOR A LAB WITH ALL THE BOXES IN MEDISOFT THAT NEED TO BE CHECKED WITH THE CHARGES TO ENTER IN OUTSIDE LAB FIELDS.  THEIR PIN #, USING MODIFIER TC.

        JOSETTE THOMAS
        ACCURATE BILLING CENTER (OWNER)
        MEDICAL BILLER / CONSULTANT / INSTRUCTOR / COORDINATOR
        CALL ME IF POSSIBLE (718)363-1083

        <abcmdbiller123_55@m...>
> [...]
        >   >   >   he is the person who purchases the materials needed to
        >   provide
        >   >   these lab
        >   >   >   services, then and only then will you be able to bill
        for
        >   these
        >   >   services and
        >   >   >   utilize the fields by checking the box for outside lab
        and
        >   >   include your
        >   >   >   purchase price of the materials you are trying to be
        >   reimbursed
        >   >   for.
        >   >   >   Medisoft would be right in this case.  Hope this helps.
        >   >   >
        >   >   >
        >   >   >   Josette Thomas
        >   >   >   Accurate Billing Center- Owner
        >   >   >   Medical Biller/Consultant/Instructor/Co-ordinator

        om/>