Retention of encounter forms

  • RDowney408@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
      Hello,

      My name is Ruth and I am new to the list. I am a Compliance Analyst in New
      York state. I have been asked to find guidelines on retention of the
      physician encounter forms. I believe that they should be considered part of
      the medical record, (even though that is not where they are kept), and held
      for 7 years. Does anyone know if there are specific rules about this in
      writing?

      Thanks for the help,

      Ruth
    • Reeki8@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
        Hello Ruth and Welcome!

        First..when you say encounter..I want to make sure we are talking about the
        same thing. Here are charge slips are called: Charge slips ;-) Routers
        Encounters Super Bills Bills and various other names LOL>

        If it is the slip that contains the coding...and patient demographics then
        to my knowledge we are not required to keep them in MI because the visit is
        documentated in the Medical Record and Receivables and Records are never
        mixed.

        Now from a billers stand point ....I would keep them for seven years! I
        always have the Dr check off his procedures. Should he/she do anything wrong
        it would be to my advantage to have the originals. :-) CYOA

        Jo An
      • Ccichlar@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 1999
          In NY these documents must be retained for seven years. Empire blue
          cross/blue shield used to publish a retention of documents manual. Your
          local carrier may do the same

          cari cichlar
        • Reeki8@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21, 1999
            Cari,

            Very interesting! I will check with our local BCBSM for some data on this.
            I do know as stated in prior post that the record must be kept.....and that
            vouchers must be kept but never heard of Routers????

            Will get back to you for this States local requirements!

            Jo An