Getting the experience

  • sbsolutions2003
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2003
      Hello all....My name is joe, for the last 15 years I have been
      working in an engineering environment, everything from diesel
      engines to steam system control valves to hydrogen fuel cell
      systems. My formal education lies in business although I am a few
      credits shy of my degree. Some time ago I was a victim of corporate
      downsizing from a large manufacturing company where I worked as a
      test engineer. As I investigated the few bleak job opportunities
      that existed it became painfully clear to me that the manufacturing
      industry in this country (california specifically) was a dying
      industry and I needed to make a drastic career change. I was able
      to identify the fact that this country is and has been for many
      years shifting from a mfg. country to a service oriented country.
      After months of researching various business franchises and
      opportunities I decided on medical billing. My wife and I invested
      several thousand dollars in computer equipment and a medical billing
      business package containing manuals, software and marketing
      programs. I have read the material and am familiar (somewhat) with
      the process HOWEVER, I think that it is much like riding a
      bike.......you can read books on it all day long but until you
      actually ride the bike you cannot fully appreciate what it takes to
      ride.....and your pretty much assured to have a few bumps and
      bruises along the way........My problem is this......I have an
      extremely high work ethic...I will accept no less then a stellar
      performance for my clients, but I need some experience. I have
      looked for biller positions in my area but everyone wants
      experience, I would even consider processing some claims for free
      just to get the hang of it so when my first client comes along I
      feel that I have done everything within my power to prepare.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated!

      Thank you in advance for your time
      Sincereley,
      Joseph J. Dolence
      Superbill Solutions
    • justkatesmom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 2003
        Joe,

        My degree is in Computer Science, but after became pregnant with my 2nd child, I decided I didn't want the LONG work hours mandated by that profession, and decided that medical billing would be a fun career for me to pursue.

        Like you, I ran into the "no experience" road block.  Just remember the important thing is getting in the door.  Once you've done that, you can prove yourself easily enough.

        I went to a temp agency.  I was assigned to work in the billing department for LabCorp.  They hired me permanently.  (Low pay, non-professional atmosphere, etc.).  But before I knew it, I had enough experience to get a great job, and now I love what I do!