Newbie here!

  • sweetpeahiker
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
      Hi. My name is Cheryl and I just joined this group.

      I am currently am not employed as a biller / coder, but would like to be.

      Many years ago, I was an Accounts Manager for a surgical supply store
      in Maine. It was the best job I had. I loved it. It involved medical
      billing and coding. They trained me. Back then, I did it all by hand.
      Over the years, I have been involved heavily in the computer industry
      and I have no fear of learning the software.

      My life is at a standstill. I homeschool my two children and my
      husband has been out of work since March of this year. Our
      unemployment is about to run out and I need help to get certified in
      Medical Billing / Coding so that I can do it at home...but I need to
      get certified in a timely manner.

      Any suggestions for me? It is so hard to tell the frauds from the real
      companies and would greatly appreciate your feedback.

      Thank you so much.
      --Cheryl--
    • Laureen Jandroep
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
        Message
        Hi Cheryl,

        I admire you for home schooling your children!  If I'm ever blessed with kids of my own that has always been my goal.

        Regarding getting certified etc.  You're on the right track with reading listservs such as this one.  A good book to "study" and that we use with our beginner students is "Insurance Handbook for the Medical Office" by M. Fordney.  She just came out with a new edition.  There is a student workbook too.

        Beyond that you'll want to consider becoming a certified coder.  When I started my billing company I was told you did not need to know coding - I found out quickly that wasn't the case.  Now I teach it full time.  For more details visit our website at http://www.crn-institute.com

        --Laureen

        ----Contact Information----
        Laureen Jandroep, OTR, CPC, CCS-P, CPC-H, CCS
        Laureen@...
        Specializing in Medical Billing & Coding Certification TeleCourse Training & Videos
        http://www.crn-institute.com
        217 White Horse Pike, Absecon, NJ 08201
        PH: 609-383-8840 FX: 609-383-0757 EFAX: 419-735-7600
        Part of the Coding & Reimbursement Network, Inc.
        http://www.codingandreimbursement.net

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2003
          Thank you for your response, Laureen. I have ordered the book you
          mentioned and am looking into CTS (Career Training Solutions). They
          prepare you to be certified in 3 1/2 months. Has anyone here heard of it?

          --Cheryl--

          --- In MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com, "Laureen Jandroep"