5841Copying Medical Records to CDs

    Feb 27, 2013
      Hello Forum,

      Asking on behalf of my office manager's meeting group:

      "Do any of you provide parents, or providers, with a Disk Copy (CD) of medical records? If so, what is required to comply with HIPPA?"

      They're also wondering: Do you have to "encrypt" your CD? What would be the difference of mailing "paper" records vs. mailing a CD? You're not encrypting your paper copy. I'm thinking it would need to be a "read-only" PDF, on the CD, but beyond that, no one has any information esp. with HIPAA.

      Any help on this is greatly appreciated.