5791Medicare Psychiatric Reduction

  • DTru
    Aug 14, 2012
      For Mental Health billers:

      I have just discovered the 20% Psychiatric Reduction from Medicare
      for an office in Kansas. Arizona does not have such a reduction! I
      do not understand why Medicare, a Federal Program, reduces their
      payment schedule in one part of the country and not in another. I am
      also amazed that they are doing this with claims with DXs between 290
      and 319. That pretty much covers all mental disorders.
      How do you, the practitioners on this list, handle such a thing? Do
      you find other DX codes or procedure codes that are still
      appropriate to the situation, or do you just "take it on the chin"?

      One doctor tells me that she will discuss meds with the patient and
      then bill the code 90862.

      I also see that the reduction will be phased out by 2014.

      Frankly, I think this is one of the craziest things I have heard from
      Medicare, and that is saying a lot!

      Any input will be Greatly appreciated!

      Many Thanks,

      Deb