      From: Blue <life.angel@...>
      Subject: RE: [MedicalBillers] coding question of the day.
      To: MedicalBillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, November 1, 2008, 12:33 AM

      What part does she take exception with? Using the modifier 51 or 59?
      Billing 2 colons together? Billing the uppers together? It should be
      billed like this:

      45385
      45380 - 59 (some ins co require 51 instead but start with the 59 modifier)
      43255 - 59 (yes this seems odd to have the modifier on the first code but
      it IS correct in this instance)
      43247

      Do your diagnoses like this:
      1. 211.3
      2. 531.00 (assuming stomach)
      3. 935.1

      Attach the #1 Dx to the 45385 and the 45380
      Attach the #2 Dx to the 43255
      Attach the #3 Dx to the 43247

      If your doc hasn't been billing like this with all the procedure codes they
      have left a LOT of monies on the table. This is pretty standard stuff
      among GI practices. I've done the billing for 27 GI providers for 20 years,
      attended many seminars, read all the literature, etc. The proof on the
      Medicare website should be good enough for anyone.

      Let me know if you have a specific area you would like me to help come up
      with written proof for your doc.

      Vicki F

      From: Andrea Cavanaugh <andiec@bellsouth. net>
      To: MedicalBillers@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, October 31, 2008, 5:35 PM

      I am wondering if Modifier 59 would be appropriate for the second example?

      Andie