Colette Kennedy -- Weather Doesn't Matter Any More?

  • Wayne Dayton
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
      Collette Kennedy, one of the so-called "starlets" of The Weather
      Network prior to Pelmorex moving it from Montreal to Mississauga,
      during the days when Andy "Harris" Peplowski and Sherrie "High
      Pressure System" Claridge lit up the weather boards...has seemingly
      vanished, giving up her supposedly "award-winning" meteorology
      career.

      The American Meteorological Society indicates that said Ms. Kennedy,
      after a flash-in-the-pan trip to Baltimore, is no longer an active
      member and, as of Feb.10/05, had not renewed her AMS Television
      Seal...

      Maybe, like Fran Pappert, Cynthia Drummond, Lin Eleoff, Rosemary
      Parrett, and countless others before her, TV was just the means by
      which to find a rich man and leave the biz.

      Best,

      Wayne
    • Neil Schwartzman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
        Why? Are there rich men 'in the biz" (apart from the owners, needless
        to say ...).

        What I have been told about the average pay scale for weather women
        and entertainment beat 'journalists', they sure aren't in a position
        to afford a $1,200 weasel fur mix with their natural hair, so I assume
        screwing your way to the top as a guy would be even tougher, huh? With
        less, ehm, hope of recompense?

        In other words, payscale disparity - does it exist in the media world?
        Does Nancy Wood make more than Bernie St. Laurent? Does Mits make more
        than Bill or vice versa?

        Is there a glass ceiling beyond which weather warblers and traffic
        tattlers cannot progress, typically? (Images of 'Beggars and Choosers'
        with the black wheel-chair bound woman being hired to cover all three
        bases abound in my mind at this point ... anyone know if they've got
        that out on DVD - I could bear to watch it all in a row, if for no
        other reason than the inimitable Charlotte Ross).

        On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:10:10 -0000, Wayne Dayton
        <wayne_dayton@...> wrote:

        > Collette Kennedy, one of the so-called "starlets" of The Weather
        > Network prior to Pelmorex moving it from Montreal to Mississauga,
        > during the days when Andy "Harris" Peplowski and Sherrie "High
        > Pressure System" Claridge lit up the weather boards...has seemingly
        > vanished, giving up her supposedly "award-winning" meteorology
        > career.
        >
        > The American Meteorological Society indicates that said Ms. Kennedy,
        > after a flash-in-the-pan trip to Baltimore, is no longer an active
        > member and, as of Feb.10/05, had not renewed her AMS Television
        > Seal...
        >
        > Maybe, like Fran Pappert, Cynthia Drummond, Lin Eleoff, Rosemary
        > Parrett, and countless others before her, TV was just the means by
        > which to find a rich man and leave the biz.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Wayne
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Neil Schwartzman
        Vandalay Industries
        Montréal, Québec

        Vandalay Industries
        *******************
        Purveyors of fine latex seating and recycled electronic communications
      • Wayne Dayton
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
          The rich men that these "reporters for a month" seek are rich men
          from any or all professions, but none of those listed married anyone
          within the field of journalism.

          Funny that almost back-to-back are postings about "screwing your way
          to the top" and Sandie Rinaldo, since both go closely hand-in-hand.
          Murray Chercover sure had his eye on this former CBC teen dance
          queen a la "Like Young".

          There are still all too many markets where the male anchor will make
          more than the female, but it is chalked up to "seniority", as we
          don't have too many 50+ female anchors that focus groups still
          relate to and tell us to retain.

          There is a simply-mandated max that a local market weather and
          traffic girl can make, even in NYC on 1010 WINS...and there are
          undoubtedly Amway distributors that make more.

          Best,

          Wayne

          --- In MediainMontreal@yahoogroups.com, Neil Schwartzman
          <spamfighter@g...> wrote:
          > Why? Are there rich men 'in the biz" (apart from the owners,
          needless
          > to say ...).
          >
          > What I have been told about the average pay scale for weather women
          > and entertainment beat 'journalists', they sure aren't in a
          position
          > to afford a $1,200 weasel fur mix with their natural hair, so I
          assume
          > screwing your way to the top as a guy would be even tougher, huh?
          With
          > less, ehm, hope of recompense?
          >
          > In other words, payscale disparity - does it exist in the media
          world?
          > Does Nancy Wood make more than Bernie St. Laurent? Does Mits make
          more
          > than Bill or vice versa?
          >
          > Is there a glass ceiling beyond which weather warblers and traffic
          > tattlers cannot progress, typically? (Images of 'Beggars and
          Choosers'
          > with the black wheel-chair bound woman being hired to cover all
          three
          > bases abound in my mind at this point ... anyone know if they've
          got
          > that out on DVD - I could bear to watch it all in a row, if for no
          > other reason than the inimitable Charlotte Ross).
          >

          > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:10:10 -0000, Wayne Dayton
          > <wayne_dayton@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Collette Kennedy, one of the so-called "starlets" of The
          Weather
          > > Network prior to Pelmorex moving it from Montreal to
          Mississauga,
          > > during the days when Andy "Harris" Peplowski and Sherrie "High
          > > Pressure System" Claridge lit up the weather boards...has
          seemingly
          > > vanished, giving up her supposedly "award-winning" meteorology
          > > career.
          > >
          > > The American Meteorological Society indicates that said Ms.
          Kennedy,
          > > after a flash-in-the-pan trip to Baltimore, is no longer an
          active
          > > member and, as of Feb.10/05, had not renewed her AMS Television
          > > Seal...
          > >
          > > Maybe, like Fran Pappert, Cynthia Drummond, Lin Eleoff,
          Rosemary
          > > Parrett, and countless others before her, TV was just the means
          by
          > > which to find a rich man and leave the biz.
          > >
          > > Best,
          > >
          > > Wayne
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
            Heh. the irony of that is all too painfully laid out, so to speak.
            Mind you, the young turks are certainly nipping at the heels of the
            old men in the driver's seats ... Jon Stewart and John Roberts are
            both young enough to appeal to pan-age demographics - George
            Strombrosis or whatever his name is seems likely to have a great
            career laid out in front of him - smart, good looking, affable.

            Everybody conjects as to the replacements for the geriatrics in the
            U.S. - who do we all think is going to replace the animatronic corpses
            we have in place nationally, and locally?

            By the way - just because a woman or a dude did something silly in
            their exhuberant youth does not mean they are twits as adults.

            Snakey recently discovered something about a colleague of mine at the
            moment which she was seemingly flustered about, needlessly apologetic
            when asked about it, in fact, especially in light of their current
            status/stature and godzilla like grasp of the issues at hand,
            professionally. They begged me not to share the info with others,
            which was an easy enough request to grant since I'd had no intention
            of doing so as I didn't see it as deliterious, nor advantageous, nor
            do I now, despite their protestations which might be exaggerated,
            anyway.

            To be young is to be stupid to a certain degree, we all should enjoy
            it while it lasts. It is forgivable. Stupidity at age 30 and beyond is
            less appealing on so many levels ...