Paul Revere's (Bike) Ride

  • apikcili
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2009
      Hello! Last year I organized a ride roughly following Revere's route from Charlestown to Lexington, making a couple history-lesson stops along the way.

      This year I'd like to do this ride again, only I think it should be better. That means more experienced ride leaders, someone who knows more interesting and accurate history than I, and hopefully support from MassBike and the Bike Committees of Charlestown, Somerville, Medford, Arlington, and Lexington.

      It's a fun ride with two really tricky spots (Sullivan Square and Medford Square) that we handled pretty well last year without marshals (we walked our bikes). It includes the full gamut from dense urban to national historic park.

      The ride is about 15 miles out and some distance back (depending on where people go). The official ride could return to Charlestown, making it about 30 miles total.

      I'd love your thoughts on how to get this more organized, especially if you'd like to help. I am thinking this could be a good ride for Medford and its possible Committee to "sponsor."

      Revere rode on April 18th, which is a Sunday this year. Lexington has many events that whole weekend, including a parade on Sunday, so the ride will probably be Saturday April 17th.

      Let me know your thoughts, tips, and if you're interested in helping me organize/run the ride.

      Thanks!
    • Robert Mela
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
        Usually the parade is on the Patriot's day holiday, which would be
        Monday, so Sunday should be fairly clear. I can double check on that.

        On Saturday or Sunday there's often a reenactment of the arrival of
        British reinforcements at Lexington. The battle is staged in Tower Park,
        near Seasons Four. It would make another interesting stop.

        apikcili wrote:

        > Hello! Last year I organized a ride roughly following Revere's route
        > from Charlestown to Lexington, making a couple history-lesson stops
        > along the way.
        >
        > This year I'd like to do this ride again, only I think it should be
        > better. That means more experienced ride leaders, someone who knows
        > more interesting and accurate history than I, and hopefully support
        > from MassBike and the Bike Committees of Charlestown, Somerville,
        > Medford, Arlington, and Lexington.
        >
        > It's a fun ride with two really tricky spots (Sullivan Square and
        > Medford Square) that we handled pretty well last year without marshals
        > (we walked our bikes). It includes the full gamut from dense urban to
        > national historic park.
        >
        > The ride is about 15 miles out and some distance back (depending on
        > where people go). The official ride could return to Charlestown,
        > making it about 30 miles total.
        >
        > I'd love your thoughts on how to get this more organized, especially
        > if you'd like to help. I am thinking this could be a good ride for
        > Medford and its possible Committee to "sponsor."
        >
        > Revere rode on April 18th, which is a Sunday this year. Lexington has
        > many events that whole weekend, including a parade on Sunday, so the
        > ride will probably be Saturday April 17th.
        >
        > Let me know your thoughts, tips, and if you're interested in helping
        > me organize/run the ride.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Kyna Hamill
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2010
          Hi:

          Did you stop at Gaffey's Funeral Home in Medford - the home of Isaac Hall? - this is where Revere stopped in Medford.  After planning the Brick by Brick bike tour of Medford in Sept. we learned there is no bike Police detail in Medford and not all Medfordites are friendly to bike traffic.  That corner of Medford just over the Craddick Bridge, (though very historic as the first toll bridge in America) is not so friendly.  You might consider the foot bridge just down from there which leads you right over to Gaffey's at High Street.

          We could probably get a few Medford marshalls for that part of the ride.

          best,

          Kyna Hamill
          Board Member, Medford Historic Society