Re: [MedfordBiPeds] Medford Bicycle Committee?

  • Dave (lists) Adams
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
      I absolutely think the city ought to have a bike committee. It was my experience being active with the Arlington Bike Committee (ABAC: http://www.abac.arlington.ma.us/ that got me interested in trying to create the Medford BiPeds here.

      That said, while I feel like I could be a valuable part of a Medford Bike Committee, I want to avoid being considered to lead the committee. I find myself unable to calmly and rationally deal with a fair number of the various authority figures in Medford, and I don't think I would effectively further the causes I want to promote.

      As to bike lanes / trails, there's plenty of variety of opinion on how to get the most people onto bikes both _feeling_ safer and _being_ safer, which are not necessarily the same thing. I think the committee can and should represent a variety of opinions on the topic of bicycle lanes.

      If someone steps up as a potential leader, I can find my "how to start a bike committee" materials from MassBike, and I know some of the best people around to help.

      Dave

      On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Joseph Zamparelli, Jr. <joseph@...> wrote:
      Dear Ken (et al.)

      I really admire your dedication. While I have all but given up on the streets in Medford ever being more livable, you have consistently held the course, bit, by bit, notice by notice, meeting by meeting.

      I don't have the time (or confidence in the municipal process) to take the lead right now. However, count on me as a member of the troops.

      Just so everyone gets a sense of my feelings, I don't agree with all things that are often discussed regarding bicycles. I think bike lanes, like in parts of Cambridge, are dangerous. Dedicated bike and pedestrian ways, on the other hand, are great. I'm a big believer in education (for both two and four plus wheelers) and enforcement of current laws, rather than more laws. I don't think cars are the enemy.

      But I'm sure there's a lot more we agree with than disagree. So... I'm in, if people need/want me.

      =Z

      -Joseph Zamparelli, Jr.

      On Feb 28, 2009, at 12:47 PM, kenmedford wrote:

      There are some significant projects in the works to improve
      conditions for bicycling in Medford, such as the Mystic River
      Greenway. The mayor also has shown new interest in "green"
      initiatives such as the new windmill and adding solar panels to city
      buildings.

      Is it time to propose that the city establish a Bicycle Committee -
      more than just a citiens group - such as the ones in Somerville and
      Cambridge (see details below)?

      If so, how do we go about it? Anyone interested in taking the lead?

      - Ken Krause

      SOMERVILLE

      The Somerville Bicycle Committee was established by the Board of
      Aldermen ordinance on February 8, 2001. The committee works to
      improve conditions for bicyclists in the City of Somerville, promote
      bicycling as a means of transportation, improve safety conditions
      for bicyclists, and to help implement policy, programs, and bike
      routes for all ages.

      Activities include reviewing City plans for road construction,
      drafting and reviewing bicycle-related ordinances, participating in
      public events, creating materials to encourage bicycling in the
      city, and working with other bicycling organizations at the local,
      state, and national level.

      Committee members are appointed by the Mayor, and include residents,
      business owners, and City staff from the Office of Strategic
      Planning and Community Development (OSPCD), Traffic and Parking
      Department (T&P), Police Department, and Department of Public Works
      (DPW). The Mayor's Office and the Board of Aldermen are also
      represented on the Bicycle Committee.

      CAMBRIDGE

      The Cambridge Bicycle Committee, established by City Council in
      1991, works to improve conditions for bicyclists in the City of
      Cambridge and promote bicycling as a means of transportation.
      Activities of the Committee include:

      + reviewing City plans for road construction;
      + commenting on pending bicycle-related ordinances;
      + organizing and participating in public events;
      + creating materials to encourage bicycling in the city, and
      + working with other bicycling organizations at the local, state,
      and national level.

      The committee is made up of community members who take an active
      interest in bicycling issues in Cambridge, as well as City staff
      from the Community Development Department, the Department of
      Traffic, Parking, and Transportation, the Police Department, and the
      Department of Public Works.

    • Aaron Pikcilingis
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
        Hello,

        I've been watching the local lists pretty quietly for a while and definitely agree that a bicycle committee would be most helpful.  I don't know a lot about the process, but I am happy to help in any way I can.

        My lack of experience and a new baby preclude me from taking the lead here, but I would be delighted to work on or with a committee to improve conditions for non-motorized transit in Medford.

        Definitely keep me posted on anything I can do to help, and thanks for everything you all do to work toward a bike-friendlier Medford.

        Peace,
        Aaron

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In MedfordBiPeds@yahoogroups.com, "Dave (lists) Adams" <dave@...> wrote:

          > I absolutely think the city ought to have a bike committee. It was
          > my experience being active with the Arlington Bike Committee (ABAC:
          > http://www.abac.arlington.ma.us/ that got me interested in trying > to create the Medford BiPeds here.

          Joseph, Dave and Aaron,

          Thank you for your comments and support of the Medford Bike Committee idea. I am also unable to take the lead on this but will inquire of the mayor as to what would be the appropriate steps to take would be, and report back. I am sure once we publicize this idea to the wider Medford community there will be much interst (the initial Medford BiPeds meeting filled the library meeting room).

          As Joseph noted, the issue of bicycle accommodations are complex and opinions vary, as do the capabilities and comfort levals of riders in different conditions. All the more reason to have a Bike Committee to discuss these matters thoroughly and make sound recommendations for improving conditions.

          And there are going to be a ton of opportunties. The soon to be announced Mystic River Reservation Master Plan calls for a huge investment in bicycling accommodations, as does the Alewife Brook Master Plan in bordering Arlington and Cambridge. The Green Line terminus station at Route 16 will also be a magnet for bicyclists, and the Community Path in Somerville is being extended.

          At tonight's DCR meeting on the bridge reconstruction project on Mystic Valley Parkway over Alewife Brook, the DCR representative told him that a colleague remarked to him he feels the Mystic River area will attract more bicylists than the Esplanade in Boston.

          But we need to be active in the planning for each aspect of these projects. Tonight, for example, there were representatives from the Somerville Bicycle Committee, Somerville Transportation Equity Partnership, Somerville Planning Department, Livable Streets Alliance, MassBike, WalkBoston and others providing input on a bridge that is a mere 90 feet long, but will feature very significant improvements for bicycle and pedestrian accommdations that hopefully will be emulated as the Mystic Master Plan is implemented and the Mystic Valley Parkway/Alewife Brook Parkway rotary is redesigned in conjunction with the Green Line project.

          Great things are on the horizon for biking in Medford. The more we can be a part of the planning and decision-making, the better the final result will be.

          - Ken
        • Joseph Zamparelli, Jr.
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
            Ken,

            Again, thank you, and I admire your dedication. Awesome.

            =Z

            On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:58 PM, kenmedford wrote:

            --- In MedfordBiPeds@ yahoogroups. com, "Dave (lists) Adams" <dave@...> wrote:

            > I absolutely think the city ought to have a bike committee. It was
            > my experience being active with the Arlington Bike Committee (ABAC:
            > http://www.abac. arlington. ma.us/ that got me interested in trying > to create the Medford BiPeds here.

            Joseph, Dave and Aaron,

            Thank you for your comments and support of the Medford Bike Committee idea. I am also unable to take the lead on this but will inquire of the mayor as to what would be the appropriate steps to take would be, and report back. I am sure once we publicize this idea to the wider Medford community there will be much interst (the initial Medford BiPeds meeting filled the library meeting room).

            As Joseph noted, the issue of bicycle accommodations are complex and opinions vary, as do the capabilities and comfort levals of riders in different conditions. All the more reason to have a Bike Committee to discuss these matters thoroughly and make sound recommendations for improving conditions.

            And there are going to be a ton of opportunties. The soon to be announced Mystic River Reservation Master Plan calls for a huge investment in bicycling accommodations, as does the Alewife Brook Master Plan in bordering Arlington and Cambridge. The Green Line terminus station at Route 16 will also be a magnet for bicyclists, and the Community Path in Somerville is being extended.

            At tonight's DCR meeting on the bridge reconstruction project on Mystic Valley Parkway over Alewife Brook, the DCR representative told him that a colleague remarked to him he feels the Mystic River area will attract more bicylists than the Esplanade in Boston.

            But we need to be active in the planning for each aspect of these projects. Tonight, for example, there were representatives from the Somerville Bicycle Committee, Somerville Transportation Equity Partnership, Somerville Planning Department, Livable Streets Alliance, MassBike, WalkBoston and others providing input on a bridge that is a mere 90 feet long, but will feature very significant improvements for bicycle and pedestrian accommdations that hopefully will be emulated as the Mystic Master Plan is implemented and the Mystic Valley Parkway/Alewife Brook Parkway rotary is redesigned in conjunction with the Green Line project.

            Great things are on the horizon for biking in Medford. The more we can be a part of the planning and decision-making, the better the final result will be.

            - Ken

          • Glenn Dickson
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009

              Hi all,

              I wish I could work on this.  My work schedule does not allow me to go to the meetings these things require because I tend to work in the afternoons/evenings/weekends.   I can only offer sporadic support.  The prospects are exciting though!

              Thanks,

              Glenn