Boston looks to bicycle crash data to improve safety

  • kenmedford
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2013
      With crash data, Boston tries to make bicycling safer

      Ridership up; 50% drop in injury rate is the goal

      By Martine Powers
      Boston Globe

      Bike crashes in Boston are most likely to ­occur on Massachusetts Avenue, between 4 and 7 p.m., to men between 19 and 31 years old. And they are most often caused by cyclists running red lights.

      Those insights are contained in a report of unprecedented scale that compiles years of ­data on bike collisions in the city. With a slew of statistics on crash locations and times, helmet use, and bicyclist and motorist behavior, the ­report, set to be released Wednesday, could prompt changes in how city officials strategize to ensure the safety of cyclists.

      Mayor Thomas M. Menino, whose office commissioned the study, plans to announce a pledge to cut the cyclist crash injury rate by 50 percent by 2020, a goal, he said, that will be made possible by the findings of the report.

      "This document will help us smartly apply our resources to continue improving our streets," Menino said in a statement.

      Link to Globe article:

      http://b.globe.com/10009kI