Re: [MedfordBiPeds] can I pay you to fix my bike?

  • Linda Julien
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2013
      On 5/14/13 11:48 AM, Bruce Kulik wrote:
      > I'm a little surprised that a local bike shop was not able to quickly
      > and accurately adjust this to work correctly.

      You and me both.

      > It may be that the
      > derailleur (chain shifter mechanism) is loose or damaged. It may also
      > be that the chain needs to be replaced, but that can have other
      > consequences.

      I made it very clear that I was completely on board with the idea of
      paying for replacement parts to have the bike fixed "right."

      > It might also be that the chain needs a good oiling.

      A knowledgeable friend oiled my chain late in the Summer last year, and
      I saw the first problems last Fall, so I don't suspect that.

      > A few questions:
      >
      > 1. How many speeds does the bike have? Typical configurations are:
      > Front sprockets (attached to the pedals), 1 ring, 2 rings, 3 rings.
      > Rear sprockets 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. The older the bike, the fewer gears are
      > likely.

      I guess it's 21? I have 3 numbers on one side and I think 7 on the other.

      > 2. When you say the chain comes off when you shift to 1, do you mean it
      > ends up between the spokes and the gears (very bad), or do you mean it
      > falls off the front, and lands on the frame between the pedals, or do
      > you mean it falls off the front to the right, and gets trapped between
      > the right pedal and the largest gear in the front?

      It falls between the gears and the frame of the bike.

      > 3. What kind of shifting levers do you have and where are they located?
      > Typical types are:

      There's a thumb-operated lever that you have to push really hard to go
      one way, and an index-finger-operated lever that's easy to pull to go
      the other way. One on each side, mirrors of each other (but one has 3
      number, and the other has 7). There's a dial inside a little housing,
      between these levers, with numbers on it.

      > 4. Is the chain dry? Rusty? Does it skip as you apply pressure when
      > starting from a stop, or regularly once or twice as you spin the pedals,
      > or only in certain gears?

      The chain is not dry or rusty. I don't know what "skip" means. I've
      never experienced anything I was tempted to call "skipping." I have seen:

      - The chain has fallen off.

      - The chain has made a rattling noise when it seemed to not quite engage
      properly right after shifting (which I fixed by shifting back to where I
      was and trying again, or shifting an additional step in the same
      direction and then back again).

      - Right after the first shop screwed up so badly, the pedals would
      sometimes seize up and not move at all, and sometimes spin freely and
      not engage the wheels. My brief visit to the second shop made those
      things stop.

      Thanks,
      Linda