FW: [MedfordBiPeds] Re: Oak Grove station bike cage opening April 16

  • Glenn Dickson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2013
      I was just having fun. I am just always amazed, like Ken, at how much these
      things cost. I know I am in the wrong business when I see these reports. It
      does seem ludicrous though. There must be a cheaper, better way. For some
      reason I just keep thinking of the half-acre lots next to the train stations
      in the Netherlands, full of bikes that all looked the same on old-fashioned
      bike racks- I don't know how people figured out which bike was theirs!
      Here is a youtube video about parking a bike at a Netherlands rail station
      and some other cool links to give perspective! There are some fancy bike
      facilities there because they are having to deal with thousands and
      thousands of bikes at the train stations:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoxiZRdzI1w
      http://hembrowcyclingholidays.com/photos.html
      http://kungsolutions.ipage.com/31/bike-parking-netherlands

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2013
        --- In MedfordBiPeds@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Dickson" <grd@...> wrote:

        > I was just having fun. I am just always amazed, like Ken, at how much these
        > things cost. I know I am in the wrong business when I see these reports.

        I'm all for more investment in transportation and don't begrudge anyone whatever salary they can make, but numbers like these reported today from a report on MBTA and MBCR labor costs indicate that perhaps more reform is necessary:

        Massachusetts Bay Commuter Rail

        + 13.7 percent boost in pay to engineers and trainmen in the current contract (from 2009 to June).
        + $1,000 lump-sum bonus to each engineer and conductor who signed the contract.
        + $100 monthly fee for full-scale family health insurance coverage. (State employees pay three to four times that.)

        MBTA

        + $79,279 average pay for T painters (compared to $46,742 for a state painter)

        + $85,000 for assistant general counsel at the T (compared to $65,000 for an assistant attorney general)

        + $53,854 to $61,110 pay range for T customer service reps (compared to $34,843 to $45,117 for Registry of Motor Vehicles customer service employees)

        Related article:

        http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/04/runaway_costs_on_rail_t