Re: [MedfordBiPeds] Re: Oak Grove station bike cage opening April 16

  • Bruce Kulik
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12 7:00 AM
      Your comment prompted me to read the article more carefully. Assuming
      that MAPC got it right, most of the construction is not for the "cage"
      type facility, but rather simply covered racks.

      I now agree with you and John. That seems like an excessive cost per
      space (assuming I correctly read the sarcasm in your reply). The
      altruist in me wants to believe that there is more to this story than
      MAPC reports, but the cynic in me wants to bid on the project.

      bk

      On 4/12/2013 9:32 AM, Glenn Dickson wrote:
      > Fun with numbers! For 1600 bike parking spaces, that is only $38,125
      > per bike parking space! Gotta love it, it is money well spent. Better
      > than spending it on more roads.
    • Bruce Kulik
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12 11:28 AM
        These links point out the vast cultural differences between the US and Europe (particularly Amsterdam and Copenhagen) regarding
        bicycle usage, and why I think it is a mistake to try to emulate the infrastructure that they have implemented without acknowledging
        key differences in cyclists and motorist behavior and expectations.

        1) The automobile culture is so much less pervasive in Europe and has been so since the invention of the automobile.
        2) The pedestrian and transit culture is so much more pervasive in Europe.
        3) The bicycling culture has been much more pervasive in Europe for most of a century.

        As a result, fewer people drive, and those that do are much more likely to be cyclists as well, therefore the awareness of and
        respect and courtesy provided to bicyclists is considerably greater.

        In the links, I noticed that many, if not most, bicycles were not even locked. In the US, we need to put our bikes in a cage, and
        then chain the wheels and anything else loose, and U-lock the frame to a piece of steel anchored in concrete, and then protect them
        with video surveillance. Maybe because so many people bicycle over there, there is no need to steal a bike, or maybe it's because
        we insist on using bikes costing $1000 or more, and they don't. Or maybe it's because there are just so many bikes, that finding
        one worth stealing is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

        bk
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12 11:44 AM

          Yep, not to mention it is pretty flat in the Netherlands and you don’t need so many gears for basic transportation.   And there are mentions of caged facilities too, probably for those expensive bikes.   But it sure is fun while we are on the subject to see what we will need when gas goes up to $10 a gallon!  Most people here still just need the basic “steel anchored in concrete to lock their bikes up”  That’s what the simple covered facilities we are talking about will have, I presume.   Many places you go here don’t even have that.

          > Here is a youtube video about parking a bike at a Netherlands rail station
          > and some other cool links to give perspective! There are some fancy bike
          > facilities there because they are having to deal with thousands and
          > thousands of bikes at the train stations:
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoxiZRdzI1w
          > http://hembrowcyclingholidays.com/photos.html
          > http://kungsolutions.ipage.com/31/bike-parking-netherlands

        • kenmedford
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13 6:35 AM
            --- In MedfordBiPeds@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Kulik" <bkulik@...> wrote:

            > These Pedal and Park facilities are great. However, be advised that in recent correspondence with the T customer service
            > department, I was told that the Bike Charlie Cards are only available at the Charlie Card Store at Downtown Crossing.
            >
            > Bruce

            More details from the MBTA website on registering:

            Effective May 1, 2013, bicyclists must register either a CharlieCard OR a Bike CharlieCard to access any of our Pedal & Park bike parking facilities. To register now, please go to:

            www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/bikes/register/

            - Ken Krause