Fwd: This just in... (WGBH and Gatehouse Media)

  • Bruce Kulik
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2013
      I just received this from another local bicycle email list, and felt
      compelled to pass it along. I am rather upset (to put it politely) that
      these two media groups would not have the sensitivity to understand how
      offensive such a title is, particularly since they initially promoted
      the show with a picture of a SUV running over a bicycle.

      The Medford Transcript is a Gatehouse paper, and I have already written
      to the editors regarding my displeasure with this. I will keep the list
      informed of any further developments.

      Bruce Kulik

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2013
        I just saw this on the "Wheel Wars" Facebook page:

        https://www.facebook.com/WheelWars

        QUOTED:

        Our upcoming series explores the challenges that must be addressed to ensure a safe sharing of our roadways. WGBH and Wicked Local believe that the title of this series should reflect our shared commitment to editorial fairness. We want to engage our viewers, listeners and readers to focus on the stories we produce and the topics we cover. We do not want the title of the series to overshadow the stories we plan to tell. Because of your feedback, we recognize that the original title we chose ran the risk of eclipsing our reports. We are changing the title of the series to better represent our journalistic intention of telling an unbiased story about the challenges we face to make roads safer for bicycles, motor vehicles and pedestrians.

        Drivers, cyclists and pedestrians: We want to hear from all of you. Tell us your stories and give us your suggestions on what might make our roads safer for all. Email reporter David Riley at driley@....

        Bruce Kulik
        Medford, MA