Alewife Brook

  • Glenn Dickson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2012

      Hi,

      I am curious.  As a bicycle user of the Alewife Brook path that goes from Mystic River Parkway to Mass. Ave., I find a couple of curious things about it.   One is that there is no signage or obvious route to continue past Mass. Ave.  In other words if you are riding on the route 16 side of the Alewife from Medford to Alewife it is not clear what to do at Mass. Ave.  maybe that part is going to be fixed when Mass Ave is redone.

      The other thing is that between Mass Ave and the Minuteman path it is a sand path, not conducive to bicycling, especially in wet weather, and the boardwalk has no railing.   The entrance to the path from Mass Ave. has stairs.   I just don’t get it- it seems like one of the points of the path is to provide a safe bike route to Alewife.  Is there something I don’t know about?  It looks like on the initial master plan from 2003, there was a plan to extend the paved path along Rte. 16 past Mass Ave and then cross the Alewife near where the board walk is, but I see no sign of that on a more recent map.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Glenn

    • Ron Newman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2012

        On Dec 16, 2012, at 6:39 PM, Glenn Dickson wrote:
        The other thing is that between Mass Ave and the Minuteman path it is a sand path, not conducive to bicycling, especially in wet weather, and the boardwalk has no railing.   The entrance to the path from Mass Ave. has stairs.

        There is also a non-stair (ramp) entrance to the path from the sidewalk of Boulevard Road just off Mass. Ave.   It's hard for me to describe it in words here, but if you take another look there in the daytime, you should see it.

        I believe the Arlington-side path is unpaved because Arlington residents wanted it that way, and that the Cambridge-side path south of Mass. Ave. got cut due to insufficient funding.