Sept. 17-23: Car-free week in Massachusetts

  • kenmedford
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2012
      The Patrick-Murray Administration is encouraging residents who are able to leave their cars in the driveway and try going "car-free" – by bicycling, walking, public transit, carpooling or vanpooling for Massachusetts Car-Free Week, September 17-23.

      Massachusetts joins over 1,000 cities in 40 countries across the globe in an effort to showcase the community, environmental, and quality of life benefits of reducing the number of vehicles on the road.

      For the third year in a row, Massachusetts will be celebrating an entire week of going car-free or "car-light," which includes carpooling or vanpooling instead of driving alone. No other state in the nation has proclaimed a statewide Car-Free Week celebration.

      This year, those who take car-free and "car-light" modes of transportation during Car-Free Week and year-round can start earning discounts and incentives from area businesses through the Massachusetts Department of Transportation's rewards program, NuRide, the nation's largest travel rewards program for individuals who take greener trips, and is free for anyone who lives or works in the Commonwealth.

      "Car-Free Week is a great time to remind individuals to sign-up for NuRide and be rewarded for their efforts to commute green," said MassDOT Secretary Richard A. Davey. "NuRide is a free program, it is easy to use, and it enables MassDOT to reward travelers for incorporating sustainability into their daily commutes."

      Massachusetts Car-Free Week supports GreenDOT, MassDOT's comprehensive environmental responsibility and sustainability initiative launched to support the Global Warming Solutions Act, signed by Governor Deval Patrick in 2008.

      Massachusetts Car-Free Week is a collaboration between the MassDOT, MassRIDES, the statewide travel options program, and MassCommute, the Massachusetts Transportation Management Association.

      For more information, visit www.mass.gov/massdot/carfree

      Source: MassDOT

      http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/InformationCenter/WeeklyNewsletters/RoadtoReformNewsletter09142012.aspx
    • Fjm

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 2012
          --- In MedfordBiPeds@yahoogroups.com, Fjm <fmelaragni@...> wrote:

          > Medford seems to be far behind neighbors in putting in bike paths and bike lanes. Any progress in sight?

          Progress is being made, little by little. The River's Edge developer, Preotle Lane, is extending a path that dead-ends near the Mystic Wellington Yacht Club under the Orange Line tracks and northward to the existing Wellington Greenway paths.

          The city of Medford also constructed a small section of path through the Condon Shell Park that will be part of a continuous trail along the Mystic River, from the Harvard Avenue bridge to Wellington.

          The path is central to the new (November 2009) DCR Mystic River Reservation Master Plan. The maps are kind of fuzzy, but the plan is available here:

          http://www.mass.gov/dcr/pe/MysticRiverMasterPlann-Final.11-09.pdf

          The plan and path were created by the DCR's Dan Driscoll, who designed the recently completed path from the West Medford line to Alewife Station along Alewife Brook (and also the DCR path from Watertown to Newton).

          Funding is needed to engineer and construct the Mystic River path, so when those candidates for state rep and state senate come knocking on your door in the next few weeks, kindly tell them that this project is a priority for you.

          Also, the path is a candidate to be constructed as one of the mitigation projects that MassDOT must complete by Dec. 31, 2014, as a penalty for not having completed the Green Line Extension to Medford by that date. The state must institute transportation improvements that will bring air quality benefits equal to or greater than will the Green Line Extension, and the presence of the Mystic River path has the potential to effect a shift of auto trips to bicycle and walking trips.

          Which projects the state chooses largely will depend on air quality modeling, but public support also plays a role.

          - Ken Krause